Dusting off the .35 Remington.....

YZ-80

So back when I was riding a Big Wheel, I had this great Uncle in Canada who had a bunch of guns. Unfortunately, he used one of them on his wife and himself. A few months later, Gramps asks Dad if he wants the rest of this guys gun collection. Dad accepted and got a Remington model 25 AA in 25-20 (circa 1929) a model 31L 20 gauge, and a Marlin 336 "Texan" in .35 Rem. Back in the day, he threw these in the trunk of the Galaxy 500 and we drove back to upstate NY. Fast forward 47 years and that 1959 Marlin Texan (in 90% condition) sits in one of my safes. So, last night, I had a nice little VX-1 in 2X7 laying around and I mounted it on that Marlin. Grabbed the I-phone and ordered the dies on Midway. I got a pound of IMR 4198 handy and I'm guessing I'll shoot 200 grain round nose bullets. Any other powder/bulllet suggestions? This is a 100-125 yard "woods" gun for whitetail. Thanks!

I had a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem at one time. Never hand loaded for it just shot Rem 200 gr SP ammo. That thing would sure thump a deer. Yep I would say that LVR would make a good thing better.

Thanks all. I'm stopping by my local gun shop in the way home tonight to buy some factory stuff to source the brass. I'm planning on getting 1 box. Hopefully, I'll have it a little high at 100 in 12 shots and save 8 rounds for the hunt. Opening day is this Saturday. Too close to the season right now so I'll "roll my own" later!

Leverolution powder is the mack daddy with the 200g!!! Around 1" accuracy with the right crimp.
Thanks. I did good at the range with the factory stuff (2.5 MOA) but I hope to improve on that but what more can you really expect? I was able to get a box of Core-lokt 150 grain PSPs and was minute of deer in 12 shots. Only put 1 extra shell in the tube mag as they are pointed, so I got a shot and a follow up. I'll have the dies and cook up the 200 grain round nose bullets for the late season. Do you have to put a pretty hefty roll crimp on these or it it more moderate?

I shot the 200g Hornady plastic tip, play with various amounts of roll crimp after I worked up the best powder charge. Groups were 1", 3 shot groups.

Use the back end of your dial caliper, measure from top of die to top of press to record the amount of crimp you are using. Use a magnifying glass to examine various amounts of crimps.

I think that you will find a moderate crimp will do well, not much recoil on a 35 Rem.

I shot the 200g Hornady plastic tip, play with various amounts of roll crimp after I worked up the best powder charge. Groups were 1", 3 shot groups.

Use the back end of your dial caliper, measure from top of die to top of press to record the amount of crimp you are using. Use a magnifying glass to examine various amounts of crimps.

I think that you will find a moderate crimp will do well, not much recoil on a 35 Rem.
Yeah, thanks. I have roll crimped before (Light to moderate) with the 7.62x39 and .38 spl., so I got some experience with it just not in tubular mags. I tried the Leverevolution factory ammo when they first came out but they would not cycle in the gun. I'm told a magazine follower replacement resolves this but never got around to having it done. So, I'll use her as she was intended and start smacking swamp donkeys with the 200 grain round nosers. What's not to like?

For kicks try unique powder with 125 grain hollow point speer made for pistols,they are awesome on armadillos and rabbits in the garden

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.