dumb question 20 moa base

hellbound

gonna mount a 20 moa base on a 300 win mag. which way does the base go? high at rear or high at front . which direction and why . help me learn. thanks

High in front. Cants your scope above bore line. puts the zero at bottom end of scope travell usually. So you can get more elevation adjistment.

If you had to ask that raises a red flag about its use. What made you decide to get one? And are you using a scope with adjistable turrets? Its kinda poinless without one.
No offense. You knew enough to ask in the right place, just kinda concerned about what all else you might need to know to put it to good use.

lol...well i completed my first build and happened to look at some pictures of other guys rifles. their rifle scopes appeared to be canted downward toward end of barrel. in my head i figured that it should be high at front so u have to dial down to get your zero which gives u more elevation up..right? only know what i know from reading and doin my own research is all. first timer newbie..built a savage 111 300 win mag , minor action work, douglas barrel with break, sss comp trigger, sss recoil lug, sss stainless tactical bolt handle, talley 20 moa base, tps rings, vortex viper pst 6x24x50 ffp, and manners t5 stock

Last edited:
Lyons you must be tired because I know when you see this tomorrow you'll slap yourself... .gun)

Low end goes in the front.

If your rifle is dead zeroed with a 0moa base, and you install a 20MOA base with the high end to the front you have just lost 20 MOA of adjustment; by lowering your bullet strike by 20MOA.

If you install it with the high end to the rear you have just gained 20 MOA of adjustment (both relative to bullet drop).

lol...well i completed my first build and happened to look at some pictures of other guys rifles. their rifle scopes appeared to be canted downward toward end of barrel. in my head i figured that it should be high at front so u have to dial down to get your zero which gives u more elevation up..right? only know what i know from reading and doin my own research is all. first timer newbie..built a savage 111 300 win mag , minor action work, douglas barrel with break, sss comp trigger, talley 20 moa base, tps rings, vortex viper pst 6x24x50 ffp, and manners t5 stock
You have your thinking backwards.

If you raise the back of scope relative to the line of the bore you raise your POI by 20 MOA.

Do the opposite and you get the opposite effect.

Think of a laser running through the center of the bore and another running through the center of the scope.

You bring them together by lowering the front thus raising the bore laser relative to the scope.

Wild rose is right. Disregard anything Ive said since 11 o clock. Should have been asleep sevveral hours ago. Had a rough week. Not sleeping well.

Wild rose is right. Disregard anything Ive said since 11 o clock. Should have been asleep sevveral hours ago. Had a rough week. Not sleeping well.
Don't feel bad man. My dad went in the hospital with mild pneumonia 14 days ago, and we buried him Saturday.

Hadn't smoked in forty plus years and yet he was completely eaten up with lung cancer.

I had a hell of a week last week dealing with that, and this week isn't getting any better dealing with the aftermath.

got it all sitting here in front of me.just wanting to make sure i get it all mounted correctly. ill try post some pics when its done. wanted to assemble it and understand more than just paying someone to do it. bought all the tools to do it with instead of paying a smith. self education with your guys assistanceand an agi video course on savage rifles lol..

got it all sitting here in front of me.just wanting to make sure i get it all mounted correctly. ill try post some pics when its done. wanted to assemble it and understand more than just paying someone to do it. bought all the tools to do it with instead of paying a smith. self education with your guys assistanceand an agi video course on savage rifles lol..
Scrub the bottom of the base and top of the reciever with acetone, carbureto cleaner or gun scrubber to remove all of the oil.

Then use just a thin film of JB weld between the base and reciever.

Then use lock tite or finger nail polish to apply to the screws.

gently snug all of the screws down slowly so you can squeeze out the excess epoxy and then slowly torque them all down evenly. Then use a q tip with some of the same finger nail polish remover, carb cleaner etc to remove the excess.

Don't over do it, because those little suckers snap off real easy and then you have to take it to the gunsmith.

I don't use the locktite etc on the screw threads, just on the caps to lock them to the base.

Good for you hellbound. You will appreciate it more and it has a special sense of satisfaction when it produces results for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.