Dumb Barrel Length Question?

Colorado Luckydog

LUCKYDOG

Die Hard Member II

Loc: Huntin' Somewhere In Colorado
I just traded for a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag with a 2 3/4" barrel. If I really wanted to hunt a big game animal with it(for whatever dumb reason) What kind of range would I have?

LUCKYDOG

Die Hard Member II

I just traded for a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag with a 2 3/4" barrel. If I really wanted to hunt a big game animal with it(for whatever dumb reason) What kind of range would I have?

LUCKYDOG

Die Hard Member II

Be good if you are in a phone booth or a small closet. Can't imagine shooting a full Bear 44 mag load with 300gr bullets
Hope you have strong hands!

That would depend on how well you could shoot a 44 mag and the power it would have at those ranges. For pig and deer I figured 50 yards (4") with open sights with the discontinued Federal 300 gr hardcast bullet.

In the afternoon sometimes when it gets warm, I like to hit the timber. That's what I was thinking about using it for but I probably will never do it. I bought a 45/70 for that. I was just kind of thinking out loud. Thanks for the responses.

Sounds like this PISTOL (Cannon) would fit into the "500 Smith & Wesson Emergency Survival kit" category. Would be GREAT for strapped to you in case you got attacked. Saw the video review that Just_Jon posted and was impressed with this Pistol. Would like to have one myself for protection for sure. Don't know what Luckydog paid for it but it is a real nice 44 for sure!!!!!

Personally I would not buy a 44 with that short barrel, just practice, practice, practice. If you are porfficient it will be good in a close attack situation. I have a S&W 629 44 with 8 3/8". If I were to do it again, I would get the 6". But thats me.

For me it depends on whether I'm going to primarily hunt with it or for bear protection/ hunting. 4" 44 mag was my choice for bear protection/ hunting. For hunting only I'd go longer.

Would definitely make a good trail gun. Imagine muzzle jump will be considerable with full bore hunting loads. If it were mine, I would have Mag-na-port, Intl. port the barrel. Porting my 7.5" Super Redhawk was a game changer for me. With practice, 50 yards seems doable on hog/deer sized game.

If you get to the point of hunting with it, make sure you leave the 45-70 at home. I carried both the first couple of years and never had the patience to let deer get close enough in my open sighted 44.

Some of our 44s.
S&W Model -2 (Dirty Harry) NIB with Wood Box
S&W Model -4 44 6" and Maga Ported. Use this one for hunting. Harvested a few deer.
Ruger Black Hawk 44 NIB. Don't use it. I don't care for single actions.

Attachments

• S Wesson 44 Model -2 l.jpg
    S Wesson 44 Model -2 l.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 100
  • S Wesson 44 Model -2 R.jpg
    S Wesson 44 Model -2 R.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 123
  • S Wesson 44m-4R.jpg
    S Wesson 44m-4R.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 102
  • S Wesson 44 M-4 PortedL.jpg
    S Wesson 44 M-4 PortedL.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Ruger B Hawk 44 R.jpg
    Ruger B Hawk 44 R.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Ruger B Hawk 44 L.jpg
    Ruger B Hawk 44 L.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 103
Would definitely make a good trail gun. Imagine muzzle jump will be considerable with full bore hunting loads. If it were mine, I would have Mag-na-port, Intl. port the barrel. Porting my 7.5" Super Redhawk was a game changer for me. With practice, 50 yards seems doable on hog/deer sized game.

If you get to the point of hunting with it, make sure you leave the 45-70 at home. I carried both the first couple of years and never had the patience to let deer get close enough in my open sighted 44.
This is good advice. I have carried a SW500 with a 4" barrel with me a few times. I always reached for the rifle except one time. That time a doe was coming from behind me directly under my tree stand. I pulled out the hand cannon and tried to get settled to take the shot. Evidently not settled enough as I missed her at 20 yards. She probably expired later from traumatic shock from the muzzle blast. My hunt was over and I still can't believe I missed that shot. If we ever have grizzly bears migrating to TN, I better do some more practicing……

I actually thought about selling the revolver, but it is still a blast to shoot. At least for a few rounds. Elbow let's me know when it is time to quit.

Attachments

• D4154237-004B-4495-8F3B-514E402D6390.jpeg
    D4154237-004B-4495-8F3B-514E402D6390.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 125