dum ? for a-max162gn and eld-x 162gn

yamadog

dum? the eld-x have a better BC then a max . I was out shooting today 935 yrd dialed in at 18.1 MOA with eld-x and about 16.5 with the a-max . was shooting with new lab tech chronograph both a-max and eld-x were with in 20 fps of each other . the a-max shot fps faster I did 10 shots with a-max and 15 shots with eld-x . my dum ? is shouldn't it be the other way around for my dail in .

If the published BCs were accurate, yes it should be the other way around.

That is why I have decided to not use any bullet until applied ballistics publishes a BC for it. Closest thing there is to impartial numbers.

A BC isn't a BC until you have confirmed it from YOUR gun with YOUR load. Different primers and powders can even change BC. Published BC are BS for the most part until I see otherwise.

I newer to this stuff . I was just fireforming some new win 7mm stw brass and put the eld-x in them in stead of using a-max . I was using the same exact load I use in a-max and ran them past my new chronograph and the were with in 20 fps as the a max . they do measure about the same off the the rifleing .02 differents measureing off the the lands compaired to the a-max . just know when I shoot new brass for the first time groups are .250 bigger then the 2nd time I shoot it . that's at 100 yrds I normally get 1/4 inch group off bench at 100 yrds and get about 1/2 groups on new brass .

I newer to this stuff . I was just fireforming some new win 7mm stw brass and put the eld-x in them in stead of using a-max . I was using the same exact load I use in a-max and ran them past my new chronograph and the were with in 20 fps as the a max . they do measure about the same off the the rifleing .02 differents measureing off the the lands compaired to the a-max . just know when I shoot new brass for the first time groups are .250 bigger then the 2nd time I shoot it . that's at 100 yrds I normally get 1/4 inch group off bench at 100 yrds and get about 1/2 groups on new brass .
So far what I'm seeing with the ELD-x series is that their BC's are as accurate or better than anything else on the market.

I won't shoot the AMAX or any other "Target Bullet" at game. Varmints and predators you bet, but not something I'm going after to pack out and take home meat.

Sadly my neighbor this weekend learned a hard lesson. He and daughter are in the blind, nice bit 8pt comes by, daughter takes a perfect broadside shot at about 150yds.

She's shooting a .243 Barnex TTSX, 85gr if I heard right and hit the deer exactly as dad told her, high and just behind the shoulder.

Knocked the deer down and the next time the see him he's loping off a few hundred yards, hops the fence onto my place and disappears.

I went and helped track him for two hours until we ran out of blood and he just vanished.

I pointed out that with that bullet the ideal shot is through both shoulders or right at the point of the sternum, just high, if he's standing straight on looking at you.

That's a bullet designed for superior penetration and for the tips to fold back and sheer off ostensibly to slice and dice throughout the chest cavity. More often from what I've seen if the toughest thing they hit are ribs you have an animal that's going to run for some considerable distance before laying down and he may very well just rest up a bit and keep on going.

The way this deer was hit, it's quite conceivable that they caught him at an exhale and didn't even punch the lungs. I saw nothing like lung blood, just bright red muscle blood and not much of it.

He'd made a fairly large puddle the first place he laid down but by the time we'd tracked him 400yds, he just stopped bleeding altogether.

He will probably still be out there to be had next year, just a whole lot smarter and harder to get a shot on.

Different bullets have different design characteristics and when you don't use them as designed sometimes you won't like the results too well.

If they'd put it through both shoulders he probabl wouldn't have made it more than 10-20yds at most.

I do know the a max works 4 deer so far nothing made it over 80 yards 460 yds 550yds 580yds and one at 850 yds . I did lose good bit of meat o that out of 7mm stw .

I do know the a max works 4 deer so far nothing made it over 80 yards 460 yds 550yds 580yds and one at 850 yds . I did lose good bit of meat o that out of 7mm stw .

That's the problem, it's a flying bomb.

Not 7MM STW but with .300 WM, I have yet to lose/waste much meat with the A-Max (178 and 208) out of my .300 WM from antelope to deer.

A couple week's ago, I guided my son and his buddy Ryan (both are stationed at Hurlburt Fields AFB in FL on a 5-day MT deer hunt. Both filled their tags and this is Ryan's first ever deer (a young 3x3 muley buck).

He was using my SAKO M995 in .300 WM loaded with 208 A-Max ... shot was taken at 240 yards;

Attachments

• Ryan 1 of 2.jpg
    Ryan 1 of 2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Ryan 2 of 2.jpg
    Ryan 2 of 2.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 16
I not worrying about losing some meat I really like the a-max it does what it suppose to do . that why I'm not really sure about these new eld-x bullets . guess I don't like change that much

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.