Dual illuminated RMR

Memberberries

I've got a couple adjustable led RMR's and I want to try the dual illuminated version but the huge dots keep holding me back. Why don't they make it with a smaller dot? 7 moa seems huge, and 13 seems crazy....

The biggest complaint I've found is about the dot being too bright outside and too dim inside. Wouldn't less fiber optic and a smaller dot with the same amount of tritium fix this?

The RMRs where not made for precision. Generally they were made for close up back up sights on scopes weapons and as they got more popular with pistols, they are more for quick acquisition of sight picture to target relation. It's doesn't look like it in the picture but in real life it's the same size dot as my front sight.

I have the RMR dual. If you think it's too bright, put some electrical tape on top and cut it in half so a little light can get in.

Attachments

• 1C8D2A24-0C42-48C7-87DF-1382EC2779B6.jpeg
    1C8D2A24-0C42-48C7-87DF-1382EC2779B6.jpeg
    577.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 119EB85F-AFA8-4617-9C25-5E544836F7C4.jpeg
    119EB85F-AFA8-4617-9C25-5E544836F7C4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 48
The only time I looked through a dual illuminated rmr I tried to look from inside to outside and it all but disappeared which is why I don't like the idea of the tape. If I were to have to use my ccw a very likely scenario is something between me and the door because my main goal is to GTFO in one piece.

It seems like there is almost too much bright light fiber optic capacity and not enough low light from the tritium vials. The fiber optic also gathers light from the top and you look through it forward so you get brightness adjusted for where you are standing not where your gun is pointed.

I guess my question is, is there a reason why the dual illuminated versions only come with huge reticles compared to the led?

It's uses the fiber optic first. Generally when you are outdoors, you would turn up the brightness setting on your EOTech right? It does this for you. Because it's tritium as well it does not disappear. It disappears in high light. The light washes the faint image away, and there's no fiber optic to pick it up or you're in a dark setting and use a flashlight forward of the optic, that washes out the image. OR you're like my wife who just lost the dot, due to bad habits.

As for the reticle see post number 2.

Again, this is why you cut the tape, leave a little gap for it to get sun. We use to do this on the trijicon acogs in on deployment because of the bleed out on the reticle. Either way I have the rmr05 on that Glock 19, and several others guns, plus I've used them across the entire world and I don't think I've had the issue of it being too bright but wouldn't get it if you don't feel comfortable with it.
Again, this is why you cut the tape, leave a little gap for it to get sun. We use to do this on the trijicon acogs in on deployment because of the bleed out on the reticle. Either way I have the rmr05 on that Glock 19, and several others guns, plus I've used them across the entire world and I don't think I've had the issue of it being too bright but wouldn't get it if you don't feel comfortable with it.

I will say it's weird to put them on a pistol. I had to reshape my draw and pistol presentation a little to get back up to the same speed and consistency as i had with regular sights, which was probably more a result of correcting my laziness of shooting a 9mm over the last few years for work. Less recoil bred lazy presentation.

Last edited:
With the fiber optic gathering light from the top and sides, the sight naturally has the proper light for where you're standing but wouldn't it make more sense to get light from the front and match conditions for where you are aiming?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.