Down the rabbit hole i go!!

crazymonkey

Don't really need a ultra mag with a few 300wm ,a 375 ruger ,and a 338 wm . But i found a beautiful rem 700 bdl deluxe engraved 300 rum and couldn't pass it up. So down the ultra mag hole i go. First thing to go will be the stock trigger and a trigger tech will be installed . Its already got a radial break so we will see if it stays or gets replaced for a side port. I'll have to get a scope and bases as it didn't come with any .

Attachments

• PXL_20240405_175025465.thumb.jpg.8be579a5563e529b947e12bfb282f0a4.jpg
    PXL_20240405_175025465.thumb.jpg.8be579a5563e529b947e12bfb282f0a4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 63
Interesting, I have 5 300WM rifles, a switch barrel in 300-416 Rigby Improved and another switch barrel in 300Weatherby.
Didn't really think I needed a 300RUM, but an enquiry procured me a new 2015 build REM 700 SPS for a fantastic price in 2020, but I could not find brass, and the only ammo was Barnes 165g TTSX & 180g TTSX, which I bought and used for barrel break-in. Was impressed and wondered why I hadn't done it earlier!
Enjoy your new rifle, it is beautiful and should do you well.

Cheers.

Don't really need a ultra mag with a few 300wm ,a 375 ruger ,and a 338 wm .

It's not about need, it's want. So, if you you want a .300 RUM, you have it. Learning to load for it and shoot it consistently will be your journey. I always found the .300 RUM to be just a pinch sharper in recoil than the other you name but we shot the heavier bullets in the .30 caliber.

We started shooting the .300 RUM right away when it was released. We had a reamer already and just needed brass. No go. The only thing available was factory ammunition. So we bought some less expensive 180 grain loads just for break in and then used the brass for what we wanted to shoot. I was certainly surprised when we were able to get some fairly consistent groups under 1/2" with little hard work. My shooting buddy at the time was a huge Berger fan while I ran some of the slightly lesser know custom bullets in the 190 - 210 grain range. Most consistency ran slightly less than the 1/2" groups with some approaching lobed one hole groups, from a bench, of course. No fast runs and not a lot of long runs either. :eek:

I was surprised to get a recent request to build another .300 RUM considering all the hoopla surrounding other well publicized .30 caliber cartridges. I pulled my files just to check some of the data (1999) to find mostly the 180-215 grain loads, all cup and core so I pulled down some 195 gr. Badlands Super BD2s from the shelf. That was easy. Very consistent using Retumbo under those Badlands solids, better than the cup and core. I used a 26" Bartlein 1:10", Peterson brass with LRM primers. It was running best at slightly over 3,000 fps.

Enjoy your search!

:)

Will Ferrell Comedy GIF by filmeditor

YEAH BUDDY!

This might sound crazy..... but trust me and the Bean Man on this. Since you have all your need bases covered you should get some LIGHT bullets to try. Hammer or Cutting Edge have a good selection of light monos that you can push crazy fast and will smack when they get there. I'm not joking when I say 124gn Hammer Hunter or 132gn CE MTAC.

A 300 RUM isn't the most efficient varmint/pig/coyote gun, but darned if it's not a FUN one to play with! For me it's a "can hit and kill everything I see on the ranch at any given moment with one single load" kind of rifle. Might be a little much but there's no kill like over-kill 😂

View attachment 564125

YEAH BUDDY!

This might sound crazy..... but trust me and the Bean Man on this. Since you have all your need bases covered you should get some LIGHT bullets to try. Hammer or Cutting Edge have a good selection of light monos that you can push crazy fast and will smack when they get there. I'm not joking when I say 124gn Hammer Hunter or 132gn CE MTAC.

A 300 RUM isn't the most efficient varmint/pig/coyote gun, but darned if it's not a FUN one to play with! For me it's a "can hit and kill everything I see on the ranch at any given moment with one single load" kind of rifle. Might be a little much but there's no kill like over-kill 😂

That's gotta be a Lazer beam and screaming fast . The guy I'm picking it up from has a current load for 208 gr eldm .

I wanted to make a 416 rum long range rifle but getting older it kinda faded away .I was going to make it on sako action that was already a 416 rem mag with a 26 inch barrel .The 416 rem mag is my recoil limit to shoot good. I hated shooting my cousins 7mm stw it kicked terrible