dont understand this

I don't think manufacturers are going to add supply - it wouldn't make any sense. It would take years and by the time they came online the demand would be back much closer to normal. Primers will be the bottleneck for a while but it isn't easy to find bullets or primers either.
Yes

I don't think manufacturers are going to add supply - it wouldn't make any sense. It would take years and by the time they came online the demand would be back much closer to normal. Primers will be the bottleneck for a while but it isn't easy to find bullets or primers either.
+1 I was told essentially that by a VP level friend at Remington back in about 2008/2009.

First post on here and the burning question I have is, "Who is shooting all the .458 win. mag.?" I've been watching for sometime now and the strangest calibers seem to not be available for no reason whatsoever. (ps. It's not just this one caliber. )

They are likely diverting available capacity from the small niche, low volume cartridges and converting them over to the high volume, most popular cartridges.

Powder and some primers are coming In stock at a bunch of the online retailers daily. They are selling out in literally seconds or if it's not a super desirable powder it might last a few minutes. You can usually tell if they got anything good because the site will slow to a crawl and the server will crash from traffic.

We are in for a LONG wait before cci 450's, Fed 210m's, H1000, Varget and RL26 are just hanging out in stock to be bought at your leisure!

Back in July ammo manufacturers were starting into back-order status and most were not taking new orders. By August most were 5-6 years back-ordered (everything they could manufacture spoken for).
With the cost of re-tooling to another caliber they are staying with mainline product. Coved regulations have severely hampered manufacturing, warehousing, and distribution. (many companies operating at 30% capacity because of that) One manufacturer had brass supply problems for short term.
Industry estimates of 40 million guns sold last year, figure 2-3 boxes of ammo per gun translates to about 5 billion rounds of ammo. ?New reloaders?
The main powder supplier for our store has an order for us on pallets, but the shipper is only accepting 200 pounds of hazmat per day from the company.

Back in July ammo manufacturers were starting into back-order status and most were not taking new orders. By August most were 5-6 years back-ordered (everything they could manufacture spoken for).
With the cost of re-tooling to another caliber they are staying with mainline product. Coved regulations have severely hampered manufacturing, warehousing, and distribution. (many companies operating at 30% capacity because of that) One manufacturer had brass supply problems for short term.
Industry estimates of 40 million guns sold last year, figure 2-3 boxes of ammo per gun translates to about 5 billion rounds of ammo. ?New reloaders?
The main powder supplier for our store has an order for us on pallets, but the shipper is only accepting 200 pounds of hazmat per day from the company.
Sounds like they need a different shipper. Competition is good.

Went to several reloading component sites earlier and like most they had zero powders zero primers very few in the bullet and brass sections then they state they are 10 days behind on shipping due to so many orders coming in. Maybe stuff is showing up and its just all the backorders being filled lets hope so
In the U.S. this amount of firearms were sold according to the ATF website;
2017- 14 million
2018- 13 million
2019- 14 million
2020- 21 million
All of these eat ammo plus the different government agencies that have bought around 7 billion (yes with a "B") rounds of various calibers since 2013. Yeah its crazy. To put this in perspective The government has bought 1 round for every human being on earth. If you want to really make your head ache, correlating time with seconds;
1 million seconds= 11 days, 13 hours, 46 minutes, 40 seconds
1 billion seconds= 31.686 years
1 trillion seconds= 31,686 years
Happy shooting.

Keep in mind that the ATF statistics are #of background checks. Many of those checks were for multiple firearm purchases~~easily translating into 40 million guns sold.

I was not complaining about lack of components as I have plenty just wondering what these people are shipping if they are out of everything

They are selling plenty, you just don't see it unless you sit there all day hitting refresh. You could check a supplier once every hour and still miss everything it's gone so fast. Midway had a bunch of primers on Sunday, I didn't make it thru checkout and they were sold out and I was flying thru checkout and have all my info/card on auto fill. Probably in stock for less then 30 seconds if I had to guess. Between the bots and 2000 people all trying to get something at one time it takes some luck to get anything right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.