Doin the splits while turkey hunting

Standbanger

Saturday opening day for me. I go out walking the roads on the lease I belong to in North Alabama hoping to strike a turkey. Well I decide to enter the woods and cross over a log and my legs go out from under me and I end up doing the splits. 52 years old is too old to do the splits. Wow!! Hamstring strain is a mother. No turkey and my butt hurts. Nice !! Be careful if you go out is all I have to say.

That reminds me of a hunting trip many, many moons ago with my dad. Dad has taking me turkey hunting since I could walk. One particular morning we were hunting a bird that was known to hang up on a creek in the middle of this big bottom we were hunting. The bird always seemed to be on the other side of the creek from the side we enter and would never cross until we decided to cross. I think it took dad 3 years to kill that bird, but that's a whole another story. :D

Anyway, I hate. I mean HATED to walk a log. I mean I could barely walk on solid ground without falling much less a skinny log across a creek. So it was always dad's chore to find me a log jam that I felt comfortable crossing. This particular morning he was giving me the 411 on how logs are never stable in a log jam and to be careful. There was a huge pile of leaves between several logs and as you would guess nothing but water under them. Well, he was preaching to me about the leaves when he went to rake them away from the water to show me, losing his balance, and falling in. I think it's been a long time since I've laughed that hard.

Oh, the perils of turkey hunting huh?:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.