Dog House’s

idcwby

What is everyone using as an outside dog house? I've been looking for an insulated one and not sure what to get or just build one, but I think buying one would be cheaper.

Thanks,
idcwby

My family and I always used igloos. Those worked well. Fill them with straw and cedar chips to keep bugs out. Attach a doggy door and it'll be a nice, tough dog house for them.

I was curious about the igloo's. Don't see them used much around here. They easy to clean?

Thanks
idcwby

Yeah they separate at the bottom and you can scrub it with dawn soap and a water hose or power washer. Super rugged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for the typos. I type on my iPhone and I spend more time fixing autocorrect errors than I save by using autocorrect.

No worries. I've got to where I proof read more when I'm using my phone because of autocorrect. I've noticed when talking about shooting stuff it never autocorrects to anything close what I'm trying to say.

idcwby

Big fan of the lifesaver dog house. Super insulated and wrapped in aluminum. Top on hinges with removable bottom makes cleaning easy. Raised entryway keeps peddling in box.

Attachments

• 85377738-2049-42AC-BD32-BC625E967661.jpeg
    85377738-2049-42AC-BD32-BC625E967661.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 23
Igloos are expensive! I raised catch dogs for years and I used 55 gallon plastic barrels
stuffed full of clean straw with a handful of Seven garden dust.
Works fine here in Kentucky!.. I kept my chickens in the same barrels just set up for them.

Last edited:
Big fan of the lifesaver dog house. Super insulated and wrapped in aluminum. Top on hinges with removable bottom makes cleaning easy. Raised entryway keeps peddling in box.
Those are nice, but for that price I could build one cheaper. Thanks for the suggestion.

idcwby

Igloos are expensive! I raised catch dogs for years and I used 55 gallon plastic barrels
stuffed full of clean straw with a handful of Seven garden dust.
Works fine here in Kentucky!.. I kept my chickens in the same barrels just set up for them.

They are about $150 around here, for the biggest one. Probably end up going with one of them. If it wasn't for that nice cold weather we get here, I'd do a barrel.

idcwby

I built a house out of 1/4" plywood panels to surround a 20"X5' table on my patio. Installed a small space heater and dog bed with a canvas flap. When the weather warms the panels and heater go in the shed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.