Does a rifle restocked with a metal"bed"...

Sully2

Have to be also bedded with Accru Glass or some other sloppy bedding material? Isnt the metal met that might come with a new stock be sufficient when the metal parts are inserted and torqued down tightly?

Have to be also bedded with Accru Glass or some other sloppy bedding material? Isnt the metal met that might come with a new stock be sufficient when the metal parts are inserted and torqued down tightly?
Just because a rifle has a metal "bedding block" doesn't mean when the barreled action is torqued in that it is "stress free'. And that is the point, for the stock to induce no stress on the barrel or action.

As others have said, even though the stock has an imbed it should be bedded.

The reason is simple. all actions are slightly different and so are the imbeds. so in order to get a perfect stress free fit it should be bedded.

The reason for the imbed is to get the best fit without bedding, "BUT" the action will have some slack/play in it that could cause the action to shift changing the rifles performance.

lots of rifles shoot very well with only an imbed but every time the rifle is fired or taken apart for cleaning consistency is lost.

When you pillar bed an action it makes the rifle very predictable/consistent and the action perfectly
fits the stock if all was done correctly.

I personally pillar bed every rifle whether it has an imbed or not. one les thing to think/worry about when working up loads.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

My take is, if a timber/composite stocked rifle isn't bedded, the build is not complete.
Even V-Blocks are better bedded as reinforced epoxy is stiffer, conducts heat and vibration better than air.
edi

I recently purchased an aluminum bedded stock and the manufacture, seems to almost say that it might be OK for skim bedding. Their play on words say that a majority of their customers skim bed for better results.

I use DYKEM layout fluid to check contact and bed if necessary. I've been lucky with several Bell&Carlson M40 type stocks that show over 90% contact as shipped, only a "little" lite around feed rail area.

Many times the "bedding block" isn't machined straight with the centerline of the stock. It didn't used to be that way, but is a common affliction these days. I've seen several on the new Rem LR rifles that I'd send back, if it was mine. That aliminum bedding block ain't the 'cure all' it's touted to be.

Many times the "bedding block" isn't machined straight with the centerline of the stock. It didn't used to be that way, but is a common affliction these days. I've seen several on the new Rem LR rifles that I'd send back, if it was mine. That aliminum bedding block ain't the 'cure all' it's touted to be.

When I'm paid hard earned money to bed a stock that has a factory installed bedding block, I head straight to the mill and make aluminum chips to correct the problem that shortgrass described.

So how would the average guy, (me included) check an aluminum block bedded stock to make sure there is proper contact with the action?

Bed it.

Even if it is lined up, it is still not in full contact with the action.

Some imbeds even need the pillars shimmed inside to contact the action.

J E CUSTOM

So how would the average guy, (me included) check an aluminum block bedded stock to make sure there is proper contact with the action?
One clue is to look at the barrel. Is it centered in the barrel channel? Observe the action closely as you remove/install the guard screws. Can you see the action move at all as you install/remove the screws? Watch the barrel, too. Do you see any movement at all there? Look at the bottom of the action after you've removed it from the stock. If you've shot it some, installed in that stock, there will be tell tale signs of where the action is contacting the bedding block. "Stress Free' is always best. Lots of voodo, gimicks and black magic practiced in the firearms indusrty these days. Bedding blocks are in that mix, somewhere..... Few, if any, are perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.