Does 5R rifling increase velocity?

Litehiker

My 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle has 5R rifling and shoots like a laser beam.

Does 5 R rifling improve velocity with its fewer lands and grooves and better gas seal with its radiused groove corners?

Eric B.

Since the first rifles with the 5R rifling began coming out people have been saying they are faster than the barrels they previously had. There seems to be at least some truth to it and I read several articles explaining why that made a lot of sense to me.

The short version is that yes fewer lands and grooves but more particularly the rounded edges vs sharp edges gave more velocity with less pressure due to lowered resistance, at least that was my take on it.

In general I think that starting off with a quality barrel with fewer imperfections in the lands and grooves makes more of a difference.

The more tooling marks you have in the barrel the more friction between the bullet and barrel so the cleaner it is cut and finished naturally the faster it's going to be.

Interestingly throughout firearms history different manufacturers have tried everything from 8 grooves to 2 grooves in the quest for accuracy and velocity. Today you can buy a four groove from Shilen, the 5R from several manufacturers under license to Obermyer, Polygonal from several, and six groove from nearly all of them.

In the end I think what matters most when it comes to velocity is how cleanly the barrel is rifled no matter the process and most importantly how well it is finished with the lapping process.

Another thing to consider is that the Highest MV can actually be achieved with a "smooth bore". The best modern example is the 120mm cannon on the Abrams tank which can fire projectiles at around 5,700fps.

Having owned several 308 rifles of each barrel type using similar, or even identical loads and conditions in competition. I have not seem material differences in muzzle velocity indicated by chronographing or actual drop data. I have experienced easier cleaning. While not a scientific comparison, I do feel I can put more shots down the tube(hot or cold) of the R5 between cleanings. I have gone as high as 200-250 shots before cleaning in the R5's and still did not experience a fall off in accuracy. I generally clean at 100 rounds or less though. Barrel life between the two types, when shooting hot with 10-20 round strings......a .25-.5MOA fall off in accuracy appears to be about the same. 2000-2500 rounds. My powders used over the years have been Varget, iMR4895, and R15. Bullets 168 and 175 SMK's @ 2600-2700FPS.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.