DIY hollowpoint pics

isaaccarlson

These are the jaws I use for making the hollow points. They grip well without damaging the bullet and they don't squeeze the rim.

jaws1.jpg

HP1.jpg

The on on the left was shot into a jug of water and the one on the right was shot into a half frozen jug of water. Both were hollow point. The far right is what they look like after they come out of the lathe. The original is next to it. They are very explosive. I want to try making the hole shallower but going deeper with a smaller diameter channel to keep the bullet together longer. The nose opens up and then comes off and the base keeps going.

HPresults.jpg

I shot some unfrozen pumpkins to do a little testing. The hollow points were explosive to say the least. I opened the pumpkins to see if I could find the nose sections. All I found was shredded seeds and tiny lead shrapnel.

Round nose entrance....
RNentrance.jpg

Round nose exit....
RNexit.jpg

HP entrance....
HPentrance.jpg

HP exit....
HPexit.jpg

I don't like to shoot copper plated rounds and they are loud. I would be using some hyper velocity ammo if I could get past the copper and noise. It seems the copper plated hyper velocity fouls barrels.

isaaccarlson said:
A few inches lower at 150 yards. They have less weight and lower BC so they slow down faster. They seemed just as accurate.

Melt some candle wax into the hollowpoint....might help it alil.....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.