Dividing Head

Explain this one please! Looks interesting!
I use an indexing head to (straight)flute barrels. This fixture is what my shop uses to spiral flute bolts.

I designed and built it about twenty-five years ago. It is driven by a rack gear, with a follower/roller that transmits X-Axis travel(via cam plate) of the table to rotational travel of the "head". Bolt handle end is supported with a dead center in a bolt(1/2-13, with a centerdrill cut to make it concentric with the bolt body . . .factory internal threads generally run out horribly).

After each cut(done in three passes), the follower/roller is taken out and the rack-gear-to-driving-gear relationship is reset. With a 24 tooth drive gear, the bolts can be fluted with any number of flutes that will equally divide 24. Most customers want six.

The rate of twist can also be changed with differing angle cam plates(bolted to the saddle).

This was one of those "cocktail napkin" designs that worked out very well(hundreds of bolts fluted over the years).

Regards, E

When you are done, I bet you can't send it back because it doesn't shoot straight You change up on how barrel works after that. Plus you lose the strenght that controls the movement of the barrel.
They do look nice, and interesting!

Some crazy stuff possible these days...to each their own, does nothing for me.
Just cosmetics...

1690417010290.png

1690417043166.png

I use an indexing head to (straight)flute barrels. This fixture is what my shop uses to spiral flute bolts.

I designed and built it about twenty-five years ago. It is driven by a rack gear, with a follower/roller that transmits X-Axis travel(via cam plate) of the table to rotational travel of the "head". Bolt handle end is supported with a dead center in a bolt(1/2-13, with a centerdrill cut to make it concentric with the bolt body . . .factory internal threads generally run out horribly).

After each cut(done in three passes), the follower/roller is taken out and the rack-gear-to-driving-gear relationship is reset. With a 24 tooth drive gear, the bolts can be fluted with any number of flutes that will equally divide 24. Most customers want six.

The rate of twist can also be changed with differing angle cam plates(bolted to the saddle).

This was one of those "cocktail napkin" designs that worked out very well(hundreds of bolts fluted over the years).

Regards, E
Impressive tool design!

someone recommend to me the best dividing head to purchase for adding to my equipment. I want one that can do spiral cuts example fluting barrels and bolts. I've been looking at various ones but not pulling the trigger until I hear some confirmations from members that have experience with them.
Man you have some of the best GS machines. Just don't go too far with capabilities. The Dividing Head is really important for many processes in machining, You can do so many things with it.
"Fluting" ??????????????????

Just my humble opinion I would not try to "Flute barrels" with it in a "Spiral way" you can do straight Flutes no problem.
I think that you have the coolest Mill & Lathe around!
Personally I don't do "Fluted Barrels. Yea they look great with different colors in the barrel with spirals, diamonds and designs. I have heard that they may "Strengthening" the Barrel and have also heard that shooting a thicker barrel and getting great groups then cutting in zzzFLUTES the accuracy left that barrel.
If you want a light barrel get a light profiled barrel -OR purchase a heavy barrel that has been already "Fluted" and accuracy checked.
You may be surprised if you have a real shooter and the send to get "Fluted" - When you get it back it may not shoot the same.
If I purchase a heavy barrel it is for a purpose. If i purchase a penile barrel it is also for a purpose.

No problem getting your barrel to you already FLUTED.

May be a difference sending a perfectly great shooter for "Flutes" then getting it back and it doesn't shoot the same way. NOT saying it won't shoot, you may just need to tweak you loads!

WHY order a heavy barrel and then cut FLUTES in it to decrease the weight??????
Just for aesthetics????

I have had shooters tell me that "Well the HEAT dispensation is faster"-----How much heat are you generating from ONE Shote to KILL and an animal???
Actually using a very heavy barrel is what "F" Class and Long range shooters use.

I've read that increased surface area claim for fluted barrels and I've wondered. So I made my life easy and modeled a barrel in SolidWorks and made it tell Me what the different in surface area was rather than trying to calculate it. Since I didn't know any exact dimensions and I don't really care for them myself, so nothing in inventory, I had to guess at flute width, depth and length.
It wasn't a very large increase, maybe 10% at most if I recall correctly. I can do it again if some wants to feed me their fluted barrel's dimensions. Can even post pretty pictures if you want. Ooohhh, I could also run a simple bending strength analysis on the barrel w/ and w/o the flutes........

That doesn't stop me from admiring the tools created to do the work and the artistry that some people put into their fluting.

We have a Laser Engraver with an auto Type Rotation Axis For Laser Marking Machine. Does anyone have information an a accessory that would be adjustable for supporting - say the end of a barrel on the other end of the Rotating Vise to support barrels from 16" to 33" in length.
I was going to make a V shaped cutout from plywood with a slot to raise and lower for correct level. Would much rather purchase a nice metal stand with adjustable increments.

Thanks
Len & Jill

We have a Laser Engraver with an auto Type Rotation Axis For Laser Marking Machine. Does anyone have information an a accessory that would be adjustable for supporting - say the end of a barrel on the other end of the Rotating Vise to support barrels from 16" to 33" in length.
I was going to make a V shaped cutout from plywood with a slot to raise and lower for correct level. Would much rather purchase a nice metal stand with adjustable increments.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Len, this is all I use for barrel support on the mill. Repurposed hockey pucks.

Chucked up the bottom piece cut a pocket for the head of 1/3 bolt and drilled through. Jam nut on the other side to hold the bolt tight.

Top piece, have multiple ones, just drilled through. Unistrut nut is used to adjust the top puck. Get the bolt sized to your needs.
20230729_141821.jpg
20230729_141839.jpg
20230729_141846.jpg

Len, this is all I use for barrel support on the mill. Repurposed hockey pucks.

Chucked up the bottom piece cut a pocket for the head of 1/3 bolt and drilled through. Jam nut on the other side to hold the bolt tight.

Top piece, have multiple ones, just drilled through. Unistrut nut is used to adjust the top puck. Get the bolt sized to your needs.
View attachment 481811View attachment 481812View attachment 481813
Nez
Good idea
I have some Hockey Pucks still in the sealed package from when the Atlanta Thrashers were playing. Also have a Players Game Bag. It is like 1/2 the size of a US Duffle bag. Don't want to open them up. Maybe some Hockey Fan will buy them from me.
Looking to get a "V" style adjustable height so when the barrel turns it stays in place. i can make one, but have so many projects would like to just get a nice factory made one.
Thanks
Len & Jill.

Nez
Good idea
I have some Hockey Pucks still in the sealed package from when the Atlanta Thrashers were playing. Also have a Players Game Bag. It is like 1/2 the size of a US Duffle bag. Don't want to open them up. Maybe some Hockey Fan will buy them from me.
Looking to get a "V" style adjustable height so when the barrel turns it stays in place. i can make one, but have so many projects would like to just get a nice factory made one.
Thanks
Len & Jill.
I modified a few pucks for top plate using 1/2, 3/4, and 1 inch ball end mill. I also have one made from delrin.

Recent Posts