Bolt head/face replacement and head spacing??

CarbonLead

I got a savage 111 300 win mag that I am trying to turn into a project. I am learning as I go. So far I have replaced the stock, bolt handle, threaded the barrel and added a muzzle break, ordered and installed all the hardware for the stock. So what I have left is to replace the factory bold head then pillar and glass bed it. I have a ptg magnum bolt head to replace the stock one with. I am guessing that is the right bolt head to replace it with. When I get the bolt head replaced I figured I would need to check the head spacing correct? I would imagine the head spacing outta be pretty well the same but checking it would be a good idea.

Why are you replacing the bolt head? There is nothing to be gained from the PTG piece.

If you swap bolt heads you will have to check and probably re-headspace your barrel.

The headspace will only be the same if the distance from the back of the bolt head lugs to the bolt face is the same between the PTG and factory bolt head. Not likely.

Geargrinder is correct ( as usual) and if you have not ordered it, don't But if you have got it on order or already received it, after installing it you will need to not only set the headspace but also you will need to check and possibly adjust firing pin protrusion. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.