Differences in reloading data?

Colby, since catshooter thinks I am crazy, I will only say one thing.

I think the people like your dad, are the scarcest of all. Being people who shoot a lot that buy factory ammo (except the people who buy milsurp - they shoot a lot but milsurp is almost as cheap as you can roll your own)

But to add to the rest of your point, it is good to take meat with ammo you rolled yourself. And this is something I thought of a year or two ago, I have never taken a deer, with a factory shell, and only one that I didn't make (uncle made it, when I was like 13)

[ QUOTE ]
I think the people like your dad, are the scarcest of all. Being people who shoot a lot that buy factory ammo

[/ QUOTE ]

What the he?? is wrong with someone who shoots alot and also uses factory ammo?? So a guy gets good resuls from factory ammo and doesnt want to to hassle with reloading. Nothing scary about that. Each to his own. If you like reloading and thats what works best for you, is that scary? Nope. Some of the best ammo for certain rifles is hard to beat such as Federal gold medal match in a good 308. Sure it costs more than if you rolled your own but if you have more $$$ than time then at least the guys are out there learning how to use said ammo and rifle to be responsible in killing their game cleanly. I personaly killed a dall ram at 763 yards with factory ammo. Why? Because I didnt have time to develop a load in time for hunting season as my one rifle was letting me down. I needed a new rig and fast. Bought it along with some match ammo, learned how to use it and off I went. Succes was the final answer. Now could I have just as easily kept using that factory ammo for the life of the gun? Sure. Was it more gratifying to develop and use my own for the next season? You bet. The point here is that if I didnt have the time or equipment or patience to hand load, there would be nothing wrong with continuing to use factory.

Try not to insult members dads here please.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the people like your dad, are the scarcest of all. Being people who shoot a lot that buy factory ammo

[/ QUOTE ]

What the he?? is wrong with someone who shoots alot and also uses factory ammo?? So a guy gets good resuls from factory ammo and doesnt want to to hassle with reloading. Nothing scary about that. Each to his own. If you like reloading and thats what works best for you, is that scary? Nope. Some of the best ammo for certain rifles is hard to beat such as Federal gold medal match in a good 308. Sure it costs more than if you rolled your own but if you have more $$$ than time then at least the guys are out there learning how to use said ammo and rifle to be responsible in killing their game cleanly. I personaly killed a dall ram at 763 yards with factory ammo. Why? Because I didnt have time to develop a load in time for hunting season as my one rifle was letting me down. I needed a new rig and fast. Bought it along with some match ammo, learned how to use it and off I went. Succes was the final answer. Now could I have just as easily kept using that factory ammo for the life of the gun? Sure. Was it more gratifying to develop and use my own for the next season? You bet. The point here is that if I didnt have the time or equipment or patience to hand load, there would be nothing wrong with continuing to use factory.

Try not to insult members dads here please.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, calm down, no reason to get your dander up. I don't know if scarcest is a word or not, but I meant scarce, not scary, as in not many of them.

He was saying his dad shoots a lot of factory ammo, and I was trying to say that usually guys who shoot factory ammo don't shoot as much as guys who reload, and guys who do shoot a lot and shoot factory ammo, are the rarest of all shooters. This was in regards to the economics of companies keeping powders back to use only in factory shells so there shells are better than reloads.

There is nothing wrong with shooting factory ammo, I usually buy a couple boxes when I get a new rifle to break it in and see if it shoots any of it any good, so I have something to fall back on.

So can we be friends now?

Personally I use the load data for just about every rifle I own. I use the new manuals, along with RCBS Load to compare data from all of the past major manuals as well as some from the past. It is nice to pull up say the 7mm STW with data from several books already loaded into the system, then pick the powders, bullet weight, and hit OK and view what they got. This only gives an idea on what to expect, but with a little thought, it also gives me the best powders to start with and have an idea of where I might end up.

As for the data not being close, that is figurative. I load for twenty comething different rifles. I have some which I deveolped loads for years ago and just tend to be satisfied with the results. The others I play with here and there through the year. When I decided to work with a new powder or bullet, or even a new rifle I do a lot of research from the manuals on what has worked for them. 98% of the time it will also work for me. For new handloaders or the occaisional handloader, they are an invaluable tool in getting things right, without blowing things up.

As for the factory loaded stuff, I as well as my bud shoot 90% handloads, but we have also found that some of the factory stuff is just too good to pass up. The Hornady light and heavy mag stuff is nearly impossible to duplicate with the components we have used. IT also shoots groups from the couple of rifles we have tried it in that even our best handloads have a tough time competing with. I just picked up a 7 STW before Christmas, and wanted to get it going quick so I ordered everything I needed for handloading and also found a great deal on some Federal loaded with the 150gr Nolser Solid Base. Hell it shot just over 3300 fps from the rifle I have, and put them under 1/2" at 200yds. SO I promptly picked up a doxen boxes for it. Hell I figure for what I will be using it for and out to 800yds with the groups I get, no reason to worry about a load for it. I do have everything to work on loads using 160gr stuff, but when it comes time to hunt, I just grab up a box and go. The same can be said for my T/C Contender in .223AI, and my Ruger .308, both shoot so **** well using the plain jane factory that I don't feel a need to try and improve on it. The .223 AI shoots the $12.99 40 round Win 50gr Varmint pack bullets into sub MOA groups out to 300yds, and the 308 will keep them under 1" at 100 easily. I tried on several occaisions to get something better for the .308 but ended up going back to the Green and Yellow Remmy 150gr Core Locts every time. At 10 bucks a box I just see no reason not to.

The factory "premium" loads which are out now are using powders which aren't openly available to consumers at this time, in some loads. However the older steadfast standard stuff which has been around for years does have available components which can duplicate the factory stuff.

I do try and find loads for every rifle and have since found a couple loads for the .223 and the 308, and am working with the STW, but for the most part, I will just store these loads away for the future since I can easily head to the woods with the factory knowing exactly what to expect.

Just to clarify I think factory ammo can be great and I like to have a box laying around that I know shoots good in my rifle just in case I need it, when I am out and I forget/runout of ammo....

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt have a problem being friends the first go round. Yes I did miss-read scarcest and I do appologize for miss-reading that and "correcting" you. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Again, my humble appology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats alright, I understand the misinterpretation, no hard feelings.

I don't mean to change the subject but do handloaders really buy more "stuff" than the guys that shoot factory ammo. When I shot trap in the 80's I would shoot 20K+ rounds a year and so did all my friends but every rep would tell you that competition shell sales were miniscule compared with just dove loads. Also, I can count on one hand the clients we've had with our outfitting business in the last ten years that handloaded. These were almost all people that wanted to shoot buffalo, no deer hunters. I have no idea what the numbers are but I would bet that there are a lot more weekend warriors buying one box at a time than you think. Sorry for the deviation but I am curious what the volume of factory vs handloaded ammo is for no real purpose but curiosity.
Thanks
Lance

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.