Did i just mess up 3k worth of ammo doing this?

simone

Hello guys, today i thought to vacuum seal most of my ammo since they can't stay in the same humidity and temperature controlled room where all my guns are. I thought it was nothing to worry about but then i read here and there that this practice could ruin ammo, dispiaciuto primers or bullets or deforming the brass. Deforming the brass with such a low negative pressure seems unlikely but what about the other two possible issues?

to me all this sounds like BS honestly

The vacuum sealer is a kitchen amazon bought one, with a power of just -50 KPA (-0.5 bar or -7.25 PSI).

Thanks!

I would think you are okay, I would just give the ammo a couple of days outside of the packaging to normalize before use. Not an expert here, though, so take that opinion for what it's worth!

Hello guys, today i thought to vacuum seal most of my ammo since they can't stay in the same humidity and temperature controlled room where all my guns are. I thought it was nothing to worry about but then i read here and there that this practice could ruin ammo, dispiaciuto primers or bullets or deforming the brass. Deforming the brass with such a low negative pressure seems unlikely but what about the other two possible issues?

The vacuum sealer is a kitchen amazon bought one, with a power of just -50 KPA (-0.5 bar or -7.25 PSI).

Thanks!
Take some out and shoot it. If you're worried I'd take them all out of the vacuum seal. Heat change is more of a problem unless it's a very humid environment.

I've never seen nor heard of ammo being ruined by a simple kitchen vacuum sealer. While I have friends who have used sealers, personally, I don't. I have open sealed ammo cans that were 40+ years old, and I have some of my own that I placed in cans 20+ years ago, and they were all fine.

Edit: Just double checked, and yep, I have several cans I filled with 1,000rd bulk box 5.56 with headstamps of 1999. So, 24 years old and simply sealed in 30 and 50 cal mil ammo cans.

Last edited:
Military ammo occasionally is found packed in "sardine type" cans that you actually use a key type device attached to the can to open it. I think it was .30 carbine. As long as that ammo was in there (I had some from the 50's), it's just fine. I have some hunting ammo I vacuum packed, but it is still inside the 20 round box. I put one of those small dessicant packs in with the ammo before it was sealed.

I hate to share this concerning storing ammo for long term, but sometimes we find things we "misplaced". Check the date on this box of 222 reloads:

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 68
I would say moisture is a lot more of a problem than anything else.
I can't see how vaccume sealed stuff would have any Bad effect
Over time it might pull the magic smoke out of the powder which would then render it useless.
Similar to electric motors and other devices. If the magic smoke comes out of the electric motor there is a good chance it won't ever run again.

Thanks!
So I assume there are laws that say that you can't keep guns and ammo together???????