Developing a load from scratch

Bags? Benches?? Shooting prone with a bipod on the ground has cinsistantly givin me better groups but the ground aint my friend!
I definatly not a bench rest shooter, I is the hood of the truck shooter:D
Let me be a little more specific What I'm looking for is round groups with no unexplained flyers, smaller the better! If your like me most days and only an MOA shooter how are you gonna know if your shooting a 1/2 MOA load or gun?
H1000 is not noted for it but usually its a bad idea to look for max loads in cool to cold weather unless you keep the loads in your inside pocket or on the dash of the truck with the defroster running. I could get more velocity with H1000 but Retumbo will not throw a bad group in either of my 7

Thats what im saying.. i shoot off a bipod with great results.. u should be able to easily get better than moa

Thats what im saying.. i shoot off a bipod with great results.. u should be able to easily get better than moa

I respect what you're saying Kasey. But I am an inexperienced shooter by LRH standards, or anyone's standards really. I probably have probably sent less than 200 rounds down range if you leave out the shotguns, muzzloaders, and .22's. And I'm going to say I've only shot maybe 50 rounds at 200 yards in my life, with only a handful farther than that.

So now that I have gotten from a 5-6" group at 200 yards down to less than 2", I feel like I'm making progress. And at the same time I feel like I am going to have trouble knowing whether it's the gun, the load, or me if I can't shoot 1/2 MOA groups.

I think it's safe to say niether me, the gun, or the loads I have tested are anywhere near .33" all day at 300 yards. That's almost 1/10th MOA, for anyone to do that "all day long" with any gun would be impressive in my eyes.

On another note . . . . .

When mentioning the temp and looking for max charges, does that mean that even though 70gr did not show pressure signs in the cold, that it may when it gets hot out in the summer time? Will velocities also go up in warmer temps?

On another note . . . . .

When mentioning the temp and looking for max charges, does that mean that even though 70gr did not show pressure signs in the cold, that it may when it gets hot out in the summer time? Will velocities also go up in warmer temps?

Most powders will be fine between 20-70 degrees some better than others BUT let a round cook in a hot chamber or sit in the sun on a hot day=Things can get interesting very fast! Heck I quit shooting targets when the temps get above 90 around here, the groups and preasure signs are totaly different!
Lots of powder can be very different also......Years ago I ran R22 up close to 79 grains but with the more recent lots you will blow the case long before that! The reloading manuals are safe for a reason!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts