Dents on bolt face tikka t3

mosh338

Hi

I have aTikka T3 varmint 243. I loaded a few rounds using Winchester primers and Nosler brass, 85 grain Sierra game kings. I noticed during a session at the range that several primers were loose with signs of gas leakage around the primers and on the back of the cases. when I got home I also noticed that my bolt face had been dented by the loose primers.

Do I need to change my bolt or can I continue using the bolt as is? The gun shot inch groups at 200m consistently even after the loose primers.

Mosh

I didn't know Tikka made the 243 in a varmint model and it was being imported into the states. Gotta see it!

I can't help you on the bolt question but the 10 twist in these rifles love the 87 gr VMax and the 85 gr Gameking.

You likely reloaded casings you had damaged with high pressures on a previous firing and the pockets leaked causing gas etching of the bolt face. If you had them blow in one firing you need to quit using that load is it is dangerous. If the etching is severe you may need a new bolt, if not back your charges down.

Thanks Lefty

The thing is that the pressure was way below max infact most of the rounds fired properly with no signs of excessive pressure.

Do you think it could be faulty primers?

If the primers were as loose as you describe no telling what the pressure was. Pressure will bleed out wherever it finds an opening. Get some new brass and start out with a lower charge. Have fun

If you have bad primers then they would go in super easy and you would likely know the fit was too loose.

If you are shooting someone else brass then you might have brass that did see high pressures at one point.

If it is your brass then it is likely high pressure regardless of what the book says. Books are for reference only. I am well below book and I see pressure signs on one of my rifles. If I load to book I have to force my bolt open. Also, book references are for a COAL load. That changes pressures significantly compared to someone loading to the lands or just off. I know you said you didn't see pressure signs so likley you have bad brass now.

Thanks

I have some new brass going to try and load them with different primers probably CCI 200 and see if I still have issues.

Mosh

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.