Decoy Tips?

17Fireball

Can anyone give me any tips they have learned when using decoys? Coyotes are low in numbers where I hunt and get alot of pressure. They won't come out into a field but will run the opposite sides of hills bobbing their head over for quick peeks. Hoping a decoy will bring them out.

Head shots! Haha just kidding. If those coyotes are pressured its going to be tough calling. Try using something they probably have never heard. And as far as the decoy goes it could spook them when they see it, or they could love it and come right in. But that's why its called Huntin not shootin.

Hey fire ball, I too am dealing with pressured and /or educated dogs. From the little success I've had this year I learned that you dont try to call them across a open field. They will cross a field at night on there own terms but not while being called to. Try and find a spot to set up where they can use some cover to hide their approach, weeds,brush, tree lines. I think it gives them a false sense of security.
Just my .02

crows,magpies,... buzzards, are good, bait there, coyotes can see them at a long range, a set up near there,coyotes are looking for a easy meal,use mother nature decoys.gun) on the other hand those flaping duck decoys creates alot of activity on a free meal too.Try your call,sometimes it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.