Deciding to reload

Walker1

I was at Bass Pro over the weekend and found some Match Grade CCI Large Rifle Primers and some powder. I have reloaded before when I was younger but my dad set everything up. I also bought some Hornady New Deminsion Custom-Grade Dies in 22-250. My dad also gave me a Rock Chucker Single Stage press, RCBS Case Lube and Pad. I have already deprimed the casing. What else do you guys think I need to get?

I found on sale at MidWayUSA.com:

Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case tumbler Kit.
Some reloading Trays
Powder Funnel

I am looking at the Redding Match Grade 3BR Powder Measure.

What do you guys think?

I think you'll need a shell holder. Also a caliper, a set of check weights, and a chamfering tool.

There will be a slew of folks along shortly recommending loading manuals. You should listen to them.

They'll also talk about priming tools and case trimmers, among other things like flash-hole uniformers, comparators, run-out indicators, and headspacing gauges.

The 3BR Redding measure is as good as any, but you need to consider the level of performance it will provide with your powders. If you're weighing each charge, you'll need to assess the characteristics of your chosen scale. You want to depend on the advice of others if you intend to be trickling into your electronic scale.

Last edited:
Yep, calipers, bullet comparators and at least one good book.

I always recommend Imperial sizing wax, those lube pads get dirty and are a real pain.

Welcome to the addiction.

AJ

I do have the shell holder aready. I have already deprimed all the casings. What all should I do before I put them in the tumbler that I have on order?

I do have the shell holder aready. I have already deprimed all the casings. What all should I do before I put them in the tumbler that I have on order?

Do you have a book? If so, read it cover to cover and you will be good to go. For the most part, you could reload them now (unless they are really dirty). I rarely tumble my brass. I do tumble my pistol brass, and any brass that is going through an auto-loader (it gets dirtier).

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.