Deciding on a 7mm. 7mm rem mag/ 7mm wsm

My personal 7 Rem Mag has taken 4 elk , 3 deer and a bear at ranges to 679 yards in the last two seasons. It sends 180 Hybrids at 2950 with accuracy in the 1's and 2's . It'll run much faster but best accuracy was at 2950 for my particular rifle.

I've tried almost everything over the years and the only cartridge I like more is the 300 Norma, since you want to stick with a 7mm I vote 7 RM every day of the week.

Out of those 7rm makes the most sense.
Still keeping it simple, I dont known if you've looked at the 7x300 win mag? I guess it could be called a wild cat, but it's not much different than loading for a 7rm as long as you plan on using bushing dies. Gives stw performance but you can keep it in your magazine with 180's without burying them.

Out of those 7rm makes the most sense.
Still keeping it simple, I dont known if you've looked at the 7x300 win mag? I guess it could be called a wild cat, but it's not much different than loading for a 7rm as long as you plan on using bushing dies. Gives stw performance but you can keep it in your magazine with 180's without burying them.
I've looked at the 7mm-300win and 7mm-300 prc. I'm just not sure I need that kind of performance for what I do. Although it would be pretty cool to own one

You know I have been thinking hard about a 280AI? I think it might be a great middle sized round.
It is only if you reload but it is expensive unless you use Hornady brass or form fire your own. I use Nosler brass, berger 168 gr Hunting, and Reloader 26. This produces the same velocity as 7mm rem mag and slightly better than 7mm WSM (I am under max). This is only because of the bullet and powder combination. Go to a heavier bullet or one with a lesser BC; 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm WSM win (only by 100 to 200 fps).

7 Sherman Max. I believe it will shoot factory 7 SAUM if ya want it to, although I don't know why ya would. Also, Hornady will hopefully introduce the 7 PRC next month at Shot show.
The popular argument is "you can buy 7 RM ammo anywhere", but you're not gonna shoot factory offerings 1000yds. The PRC will have factory loads that you can shoot a long, long way.
The aforementioned Sherman is superior to WSM in performance and available brass.

I would go 7 mag just on brass availability.
I agree as a reloader; I only went with the 280 A.I. because I could not get a savage Mag bolt face on a re-barrel project. I have a friend who always tries to buy this rifle from me but I don't think we'd be friends if I sold it to him (he doesn't reload).

Depends on what length action you will be using. Using a long action, use a long action cartridge (I.e. 7mm Rem Mag or 7/300 Win Mag). Using a short action, use a short action cartridge. While a wildcat kind of, the 7mm Sherman short is ideal for a short action. It's ballistically identical to the 7mm Rem Mag in a short action. Components to reload are slightly more expensive but if you reload there's really no downside. You can buy already fireformed brass and dies so don't let that deter you. If you're using a medium length action then a 7mm SAUM or WSM begins to make more sense. So does a 284 Win.

.280 AI, or if you reload, a 280 Gibbs. More work to fire form the Gibbs, but you get close to 7 Mag velocity and you get one more round in the magezine.

Tough to to beat the old tried and true 7mm rem mag. Although it is fun working up a load on a new caliber, (imho) I would stick with what I know and perfect it. Just an old man offering my 2 cents.

Short fat cases present feeding problems when trying to adapt them to a standard length magnum action. For this reason, I recommended that you contact Alex Wheeler.

For a common sense application, sticking to a 7 RM makes a Ton sense! If you need a back up build, a Remington 30/06 length action with a 284 Winchester will lope the 180g Berger Hunting along at 2850, easy to tune, no feeding issues, great brass available...easy peasy! You can push the 284 to 2950 fps with R#17, and Lapua brass sure takes the pressure! Limiting your shots to 600-700 gives you a LOT more choices!

I hope you will not over look the Nosler 175g LRAB, BC is great, and this bullet does penetrate and knock the Heck out of deer! I sort them by ogive length, and they produce some very small groups!

This is a hobby and you have to figure out what you like. I would not opt for a Short cartridge to save 4g of powder and add the aggrivation and cost of conversion to feed a short case.

Also, the 7 RM will accurately shoot the 160-165g bullets at 3200 fps out of a 28" barrel, R#26 with Fed 215's....run a chart on this!

Depends on what length action you will be using. Using a long action, use a long action cartridge (I.e. 7mm Rem Mag or 7/300 Win Mag). Using a short action, use a short action cartridge. While a wildcat kind of, the 7mm Sherman short is ideal for a short action. It's ballistically identical to the 7mm Rem Mag in a short action. Components to reload are slightly more expensive but if you reload there's really no downside. You can buy already fireformed brass and dies so don't let that deter you. If you're using a medium length action then a 7mm SAUM or WSM begins to make more sense. So does a 284 Win.
What's your load for your 7ss?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.