Deciding My Next Rifle’s Chambering

Dude! ole @Jud96 there aint nothing wrong with a properly throated 7 rem mag!! brass everywhere ammo everywhere ..

and another oldie but goodie is the simple 7-300 win mag .. everyone ive built has been a hammer

Hornady dropped the ball and kicked it across the field on this one!!!

Last edited:
You're right! I've dealt with several 7mm Rem Mags before and they all did great. It's old school, but it's a great round.
I've been eyeballing one for a long time. Already have one in mind.
Do It GIF

Pretty hard to beat the ol 7mm Rem Mag.

If you want a "modern" version do a 7mm Hart.

If you want a little more oomph a 7mm/300 Win is a nice bullet holder.

Jud96, my 7 mags shooting Remington and Winchester brass shoot very, very tiny groups as custom barrels and Rem factory barrels. All have good glass, muzzle breaks, and great stocks. I mention this because the economy is taking a serious hit, going to get worse. Oddball this and that is going to disappear, as the world is gearing up for conflict to a greater degree than it is now. The 7Mag, 7 PRC may have up to twice the barrel life of a 28 Nosler.
I wish you the very best in your choices and urge you to lay in a supply that will last the barrel.

Again, the loads below shoot sub 3/8" groups in mine and Brothers 7 Rem mags, and they all have muzzle breaks on them with high-resolution scopes.

120 Ballistic tips-R#22 and IMR 7828
120 TTSX " "
140g Nosler Ballistic tips and C/T-IMR, H4.350, 140g TTSX R#19, Win case, 215
150g Nosler Ballistic tips and C/T- R#25 with R#25 and WLRM
154g Hornady sp & SST- R#25, WLRM
160g Sierra btsp and bthp-IMR 4831
162g ELDM-Redumbo, Fed 215
168g Berger vld hunting-Retumbo Fed 215
180g Berger vld hunting-R#22 with CCI 250 at 2850 and R#26, Fed 215 at 3060 fps. Same with Nosler 175g LRAB, sorted by ogive length, seated .003 off the lands.

I don't own any AGD brass and do not plan on buying any, all the above loads shoot 3/8" and smaller, for three-shot groups that repeat.

I really question the reasoning to want another cartridge because there is no belt, as I have been shooting the 7 Rem mag since 1978, and never even paid any attention to the belt. Being beltless does create talking points, and not having a belt sounds cool. The 7 PRC and the 7 Rem mag have almost identical same case capacities....identical.

One 7 Rem mag has a 28" barrel and shoots bug holes with the 162-168g at 3200 fps. When I want more, I go 7 STW which I have shot since 1990 when Lane Simpson first came out with an article in Shooting Times Magazine.

I had one of Larry's Web sizers for belted magnums and never used it, sold it after 5 years. 7 STW did not need Larry's belt sizer either. I do have a 7 Rem mag small base sizer that I have had to use on some factory barrels when I bought some once-fired brass from CROD over on 24hrcampfire.com

The Remington 700s and Browning A Bolts with brakes have shot so well, you would think you were shooting a $4500 gun...2"-3" groups at 600 is not bad.

If you do not like a Magnum, then the 280 Rem shooting the 160-162g bullets at 2920 fps with IMR 7828, fed 210's is attainable. For a heavier bullet, 180g ELDM at 2700 with R#17 is real world....look at that .796 bc bullet at 2700 on a trajectory chart and it outperforms many other choices.