Decent boot for an elk hunt

I know Kenetrek boot prices are scary. But I will never own anything other than Kenetrek......ever. You can sign up on dvor.com and they will send you e-mails daily of what sales events they have currently.

I just bought a pair of Mountain Extreme 400 gram thinsulate for $325 on the above link. This event has been going for awhile, so they might not have you size now. Give them a try!

They have a Kenetrek sale 4 or 5 times a year. If the sales event you are looking for doesn't appear in their e-mail, just "search" what you're looking for in their search bar.

I'm now on my fourth pair of Kenetreks. I wear the non-insulated Mountain Extreme every day in the summer, and wear the 400 gram Mountain Extremes for elk hunting. I'll never look back. Also, as scary as the retail prices are, they are worth every penny!

Good luck!
I have not had a pair of Kenetreks... However I do have a pair of Randy Merrell (Vernal Utah) handmade boots that have seen better days. My Merrell boots are very comfortable and a pleasure to hike / hunt in. I need to get another pair of Merrells. Cost is all that holds me back... they are considerably more than the Kenetreks

I think these are Elk Hunter by Irish Setter...great boot if you want 1000 grams and good solid cleats.
15931434558891781141526264903554.jpg

And then if you want a great 400 gram boot. These Irish Setters just came back from Red Wing and a new heavy tread sole. They are originally an upland boot but I opted for the heavy replacement sole verse the "slick" walking tread they originally had. I just loves these boots now.
15931437240865964132501432972339.jpg
Upper are 7 years old...going to get 7/8 more years now.

As billcaldwell said Kenetrek! All the years I've worn out boots in the Sierras and the East Cascades the Mountain Extreme's are the most comfortable and supportive I've ever experienced. Uninsulated is the way to go, wear a silk liner with ultra thin smart wool in warm weather and thicker wool in cooler weather.

I have insulated Crispi Nevadas and I love them. They are a little higher priced than your goal of $200, but you will use your feet much more than your rifle, and I bet your rifle or bow cost more than $200...

I have used Kenetrek non insulated boots for several years now and have been well pleased. Just recently, I purchased a pair of Crispi Colorado from Black Ovis and after breaking them in these might be my new favorite.

Boots. They are a real personally choice. What is good for you may not be what I like. I've tried danner, crispi, zamberlan, kenetrek, lowa, hanwag. While some of these boots have felt real comfortable and felt almost as good as my house slippers. When I got to the mountains and the real test all but one of them left me with black toe nails, hot spots and various other issues. So with that said for every day wear they weren't the most comfortable, but when it counted kenetrek is the one I count on. They are harder to brake in than the others but at the end of the day my feet are still in the game. And believe me when your feet are in bad shape things go down hill fairly rapid. Good luck with your search. Purchase as soon as you can and get to braking them in and if possible try them out in the type of terrain you intend on using them in.

Boots. They are a real personally choice. What is good for you may not be what I like. I've tried danner, crispi, zamberlan, kenetrek, lowa, hanwag. While some of these boots have felt real comfortable and felt almost as good as my house slippers. When I got to the mountains and the real test all but one of them left me with black toe nails, hot spots and various other issues. So with that said for every day wear they weren't the most comfortable, but when it counted kenetrek is the one I count on. They are harder to brake in than the others but at the end of the day my feet are still in the game. And believe me when your feet are in bad shape things go down hill fairly rapid. Good luck with your search. Purchase as soon as you can and get to braking them in and if possible try them out in the type of terrain you intend on using them in.
Totally agree that you need to put at least 20 or so miles on any pair of boots before taking them on a hunting trip.

I would get a pair of Kenetreks. A couple hundred bucks isn't worth ruining the trip. Get signed up with Dvor, they have them on sale regularly.

Will sign up and check on them. I did buy a pr from Bass pro 400 gr to go with my 800 gr that I already have and am happy with.

I currently wear Kenetrek and they are absolutely awesome. Keep your eye out and they do go on sale. I got mine 20% off. Second I'd try the Crispi, try getting them off Black ovis.com or Camofire.com often has really good sales on them if you can find your size. Thats Black ovis's online outlet. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.