Decaping die

John hunter

What is a good decaping die for military
crimped primers? I have a RCBS which
works fine on commercial and reloads
but breaks a lot of pins on crimped primers.

I have a Lee and have decapped thousands of pieces of brass. I finally broke the pin on crimped brass. The replacement pin is cheap. I do not believe an RCBS would have held up like the Lee. I have reloaded more then my buddies that use the rcbs, there failures came before mine.

I use the Lee decapping pin set. It comes with a "punch "type hardened steel punch with the decapping pin in it, and a steel shell holder type thingy that the shell sits in. You place it on top of your bench with the shell in place, then insert the punch, and tap it with a hammer. Quick and painless, and virtually unbreakable. You don't have to use your reloading press with it.

**** Not sure if it is available anymore. I tried to find it to post the actual name for it, and all I can find is the decapping die. I have had mine for about 20 years, so it might have been upgraded to a more expensive piece of equipment.

I have tried the Lee and the Redding, for military primed the Lee wins all day. Much sturdier.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.