Dave Manson sold business

I think the way people retire, the condition they leave behind, says something about how they really were.
A professional always ensures a bumpless transfer.
If the process fails on a single person's departure, at any time, however abrupt, that person was not helping the organization, but hurting it.

I learned this early in the military, and it has held up through 2 careers since.
If I were promoted to another position, and my past position failed behind me, that would have been seen as sabotage, and the last of my promotions for sure. The problem with most 'leaders' in their field is that they have never fallen accountable to this, and they were never actually leaders. You just don't see it until they leave.
Sometimes it's the person that took over not the one that retired. I have seen changes to good systems after someone retires that were pointless and done only to assert control. I agree when you leave you want a good steward after you and sometimes that doesn't happen. When i left the military my ex boss called me about a month later and needed help with something and i came over and gave him a hand for an afternoon it's what we did.

If he sold to someone within the company that has worked there for years, Things will go on as they were and could even surpass what once was, However if somebody who has no Mfg/Machining background took over, It could succeed, But odds are it won't. And if a PE firm took over, It won't be long before it is ran into the ground.

Tend to agree for the most part. I have since had someone contact me and I will be able to contact Dave or the new owner directly. I think it will all work out it's just that I'm getting older now and I see lots of good businesses go downhill. I hate seeing everything made in China …good tools are gone for the most part… Covid essentially killed customer service and it's still being used as an excuse today. Just want to see the sport hang in there and continue to improve.
Could be that no one checked emails directed to him, probably lots going on with such a change coming off the current state of affairs, I don't usually excuse poor customer service but I think I'd give the new administration a second chance to succeed or fail you. Just my opinion though.

I think the way people retire, the condition they leave behind, says something about how they really were.
If the process fails on a single person's departure, at any time, however abrupt, that person was not helping the organization, but hurting it.
Yeah, that doesn't describe my last job. My Dad tried to get me to leave five years before I finally did, and predicted they would go under in a year if I did. Our contract manager confirmed when I asked her opinion one day. I finally did leave after I'd fully had enough. It took two years, but they did fold under bankruptcy. Those who worked under me, project managers, superintendents, etc have all been successful. One Supt is now running the company he went to in ABQ after working for me for 6 years. A PM is running a local branch of a much larger engineering company now. No, it wasn't me at all, but the company president, my former best friend's wife. She didn't know crap about construction and was a terrible manager. When clients and business partners ask "what's wrong with her" that's a clue! But I'm still friends with and do business with those other folks. She still owes me several thousand dollars I'll never see. I estimate staying there too long cost me half a million in lost salary and bonuses. Change sucks, but I waited far too long!

But I agree, if you want to climb, train your replacement. As the guy who left, you will always be blamed, no matter the reason.

Being promoted to a position is different than being an owner who has to sell the business and retire without having any say after you retire. Can't hold the former owner responsible for what the new owner does or doesn't do after the former owner retires.
Yup. I sold a going business. I left the area to accept a great job. I few years later I returned. The guy had walked away and declared bankruptcy. There were still active accounts, so I was able to salvage some company contracts and business. So much was lost I had to take another job to support the business. eventually I closed the business. I had no control over the guy that bought it. Small business can be hard work and require more than some people can do.

I learned this early in the military, and it has held up through 2 careers since.
If I were promoted to another position, and my past position failed behind me, that would have been seen as sabotage, and the last of my promotions for sure. The problem with most 'leaders' in their field is that they have never fallen accountable to this, and they were never actually leaders. You just don't see it until they leave.
I would say that's right on. My time in Vietnam, being a medic, with my platoon being moved around from troop to troop, I saw how different captains handle their men. Now the men were not any better from one troop, to the next. The officers were the difference, and made the differences. There was a couple of officers, and one for sure I would have followed right straight into hell, and we would have come out the other side. I also saw one officer thru his orders killed 10+ men with friendly fire, before he was relieved. One Major that killed two men one morning and in the daylight with his gunship, and son was behind him. We only had one man killed that night by the VC. One Captain that I couldn't stand either. Well the 19th of June 1969 he got his. An RPG hit him in the head. It took his head off. I have always felt that he became a very good officers after that. Getting the right person into place is hard to do, but can be done. As a medic and still do today I turn over things that happen in my mind, then and now as to what I did or didn't do, and what I could have done. I could go on for hours about it. I better stop now.
So I agree with you very much, on what you leave behind speak for you.

Farmers currently selling out to Chinese could say the same.
They have no control over what comes next.
It's not the communists who upset me.
As a farmer... when things get bad and there is no one behind you to carry on the operation upon retirement or financial crisis, the only way out is to sell.
Sometimes you don't know who you are selling to when an investment group approaches you with big money and only after the fact realize the situation.
That how Walt Disney bought thousands of acres from locals to build his empire!
Most people wouldn't sell if they really knew what the end game plan was !

As a farmer... when things get bad and there is no one behind you to carry on the operation upon retirement or financial crisis, the only way out is to sell.
Sometimes you don't know who you are selling to when an investment group approaches you with big money and only after the fact realize the situation.
FYI... Bill Gates bought owns 70,000 acres of prime farmland in Louisiana.
He is also a major shareholder in John Deere.

I just read about this Disney deal in my SDI class they were talking about straw purchases, and how it is legal in every other way except buying firearms, and the Disney deal was done with fake LLC and buying the land as a straw purchase for Disney so the prices wouldn't go up when the sellers found out it was Disney. Probably what those Chinese are doing with those farms.

If he sold to someone within the company that has worked there for years, Things will go on as they were and could even surpass what once was, However if somebody who has no Mfg/Machining background took over, It could succeed, But odds are it won't. And if a PE firm took over, It won't be long before it is ran into the ground.
This is FACT. I have seen this many times and unfortunately am involved again......

All you got to do is look back at the 500 companies in the 50's, 60's, 70's and probable into the 80's. Most are gone. They didn't go forward. Stayed doing the same thing the same way. Now they are gone. It's harder to hand something off to somebody else. Lots fail. Leaving things to your kids, most of the time doesn't work either. So you have to work with your kids to show them what's going on. Guiding them along the way. Not giving then everything. Getting them to work and learn how to save, purchase items, that have value. My dad die at 60's but I did learn from him, and he set up the a path to go forward, in the couple of years after I gotten out of the Army. That is the one thing I liked about Trump. His kids are movers and shakers too. Now into their 3rd generation and going forward. There are 3 types of people in this world. Them that make it happen, them that watch it happen, and them that wonder what the hell happen.