Daughters first elk- it's not supposed to be like this...

dstark

My 12 year old daughter has been looking forward to a youth cow tag she drew all year. She got the wrong idea of elk hunting though. It's supposed to involve suspense, suffering, bitter cold, long steep hikes, disappointment and days of hard work.

Well this time it didn't work out that way, 15 minutes and a short hike into our first morning we got into a load of elk bedded in the timber in fresh snow. The wind was swirling and I worried they'd spook at any moment. It was a tense couple of minutes trying to find a clear shooting lane but a mature cow stopped in an opening and my girl made a perfect shot off the shooting sticks with a Savage 308 at about 130 yards. The shot broke both shoulders, double lung, top of the heart and came to rest in the hide on the far side. I've never seen an elk go down so fast.

Easy packout and she's feeling pretty confident and pleased! Couldn't ask for more!

Idaho- Hornady superformance 165gr SST
Addy Elk.jpg

I can't wait to do this some day as long as one of my daughters wants to. Nice work

That is awesome nothing better than hunting with your kids tell her congrats and we will look forward to seeing a picture of next year's harvest
Also great job dad I'm sure you are very proud

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.