CZ 550 vs Ruger M77

Brian564

How do these two rifles compare to one another, talking current production not older models. Accuracy, build quality, and most importantly reliability. I appreicate any thoughts or comments.

I have never seen or handled the RSM Ruger model in 416 Rigby, so can't comment, but I own several 550 Safari Magnums, a few stock ones and a few custom rifles I put together. I also have a CZ USA custom shop model with all the upgrades in 505 Gibbs, very nice rifle that mirrors my other custom rifles on the same action.
Every one I have ever bought has been tight in the action and needed some stoning and honing, but the metal finish is very good, so is the blueing.

What are you building/buying?

Cheers.
gun)

Brian, the CZ tops the Ruger in smoothness and especially strength of the action. The CZ also has nicer fit and finish. Good luck

I had a cz 550 Lux in 308 win. Very reliable rifle, actually it is a modified Mauser 98. If you do bedding and put a good one peice mount rings it will be very accurate. I took a third place on 2011 Kazakhstani match competition with this rifle....:rolleyes:
I have not had a chance to use any Ruger, so cannot advise anything.

CZ is phasing out its standard length 550 actions in favor of a push feed action, the 557. If you want one of the standard length 550's, you had best hurry or be prepared to buy something used.

The Ruger 77 MkII and Hawkeye rifles sport actions that are also very close to being mauser actions, at least as close at the Winchester Model 70.

I don't think there is much difference in quality or reliability between the two. The Rugers are available in a wider array of configurations and options than the CZ's. You may be more likely to find a Ruger that fits what you are looking for.

Incidentally, I own one Ruger 77 MkII, a CZ 452 rimfire, and a CZ 550 Safari Magnum. I am partial to my CZ's, but both the Ruger and the CZ's are good rifles.

CZ is phasing out its standard length 550 actions in favor of a push feed action, the 557. If you want one of the standard length 550's, you had best hurry or be prepared to buy something used.

This is not good. Without getting into the whole debate of controlled vs push feed, it was just a good thing to have more options and variety at the reasonable price of the CZ 550. Thanks for the heads up.

I've always loved the solid feel of the ruger m77 however, the cz just feels like more care was put into each firearm. Accuracy-wise, I'm not certain... As it really depends on the rifle and load, but to me, the cz oozes quality.

I also believe the resale value of the cz will be higher in a used rifle down the road as compared to the m77.

Last edited:
I've always loved the solid feel of the ruger m77 however, the cz just feels like more care was put into each firearm. Accuracy-wise, I'm not certain... As it really depends on the rifle and load, but to me, the cz oozes quality.

I also believe the resale value of the cz will be higher in a used rifle down the road as compared to the m77.

I agree with your assessment of the CZ. They make an excellent rifle. IME, their barrel quality is very good for a factory rifle. I thought I read somewhere that their barrels are lapped at the factory, but I don't remember where I read that and don't know for sure if that is true. Based on what I have seen during barrel break-in, I wouldn't be surprised if that is true.

I'm not certain about resale value. Book value might be good, but the problem is that so few people have ever even heard of CZ. That tends to affect actual "street value."

I agree with your assessment of the CZ. They make an excellent rifle. IME, their barrel quality is very good for a factory rifle. I thought I read somewhere that their barrels are lapped at the factory, but I don't remember where I read that and don't know for sure if that is true. Based on what I have seen during barrel break-in, I wouldn't be surprised if that is true.

I'm not certain about resale value. Book value might be good, but the problem is that so few people have ever even heard of CZ. That tends to affect actual "street value."

I agree with you. The thing about cz though is that there are fewer rifles available... And due to the quality of the rifles produced, over time, this increases value, as opposed to mass produced arms of lesser quality, that tend not to appreciate much.

FWIW--

I owned a CZ 527 American a few years ago. Equipped with the single set trigger. It was a BEAUTIFUL rifle; gorgeously figured walnut, and excellent blue and polish on the steel.

I own 3 Ruger M77 MkII Hawkeyes at present, and had a MkII Varmint/Target model years ago (220 Swift; stolen in Boise, ID, about 10 years ago...). 2 of my 3 Hawkeyes are the Predator model, which has the 2-stage trigger from the Target model. The 'regular' Hawkeye wears a Timney, but I have the LC6 parts. The walnut on my std Hawkeye isn't quite as beautiful as the CZ's was, but it's truly an amazing piece of wood to have come from Ruger.

Here's my comparison:
--COSMETICS. As I said above, the CZ was a beautiful rifle. The Rugers do not have the visual level of 'nice' that the CZ had, though my one Hawkeye is _surprisingly_ good.

--BOLT OPERATION (Ruger). The Rugers, as with all Rugers I've ever handled, have kind of 'clunky' bolts when new. They take time & working, or some lapping, to get them running fairly smoothly. They can still 'stick' sometimes if you're pushing the bolt handle in an odd direction, and they're kind of loose and floppy-feeling, but they're serviceable.

--BOLT OPERATION (CZ). The CZ's bolt action was too rough and sticky for me to fix by simply operating it at home (no ammunition in the same room) while watching TV. Neither did applying some abrasive or lapping compound fix it. That bolt would stick hard the majority of the time, even when I was trying to work the bolt slowly and carefully. Speed up and it'd stick hard every time. That CZ also pierced primers sometimes, with below-max-book loads. Chrono work verified that they were not 'hot' loads, too. I worked the nose of the firing pin a bit, but ultimately had to buy another assembly. CZ did not warranty it, although they were open and helpful when I called to talk about the issue and best way(s) to address it. The bluing on the tail end of the replacement firing pin assembly was matte and did not match the rifle at all.

--ACCURACY. The Rugers are all good to outstanding-shooting rifles. The Predators do indeed shoot better than I normally do. The Hawkeye gives good to great hunting accuracy (sub-MOA for 3 shots with loads it likes). They also don't copper up hardly at all. The CZ I could never get to shoot anywhere near what 'everyone' on the internet said their guns all shot. I discovered that there was interference between the stock, the magazine well metal, and the receiver that put it in a bind. It was TOUGH to re-assemble that rifle correctly. I relieved some of the wood and that helped, but it still wouldn't shoot the way the internet had led me to expect it should. Barrel clean-up was fast and easy.

--TRIGGERS. The CZ's trigger, when used conventionally, was not so great. Lots of gritty/jumpy creep, and not a clean break. The set trigger function was simply unsafe to have on a hunting rifle, IMO, although it was sure appealing at a target bench. The Rugers' 2-stage triggers (on the Predators and Target Model) are PHENOMENALLY GOOD. Crisp, clean, and beautiful. I prefer a 2-stage trigger anyway, but if you don't, the quality of the break may or may not make up for that for you. The Timney in the Hawkeye is great (I bought the gun with it already there), but too light for me to use in the cold on a hunting rifle with the supplied spring. Using Ruger's spring puts it on the light side of appropriate. I've put the std. LC6 parts back in just to try them, and at least on this gun that's nothing to write home about.

IME, you can almost run over a Ruger with a tractor, and still pick it up and use it. They're absolute tanks; super durable & reliable. The trigger mechanisms are very simple and open, like the pre-'64 Winchester 70's trigger was. This is an advantage in extraordinarily poor conditions. The CZ's SST is more complex and, IIRC, more enclosed.

Are the 550s different from the 527s? Do they run more smoothly? Did I get a 'bad one' from the factory? Don't know the answer to any of those questions from my own first-hand experience; never had nor fired any other CZs. I've looked at 550s over the years since having that 527, but could never get past the functional issues I'd had with it enough to try another.

I'd love to hear what you decide(d) to do.

I own a CZ 550 American Kevlar B&C stock in 9.3x62 and a Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather model in 358 Winchester. I have installed Leupold VX2 2-7x33 scopes on both rifles. Since most of the technical pro's and con's have been covered (really well), my thoughts will be more opinion oriented. I hand load for both calibers and they are capable of shooting MOA at 100 yards and probably further. Both rifles were purchased within the last 4 years or so.

CZ 550 American: Out of the box, the action was a bit rough but it quickly settled in and became smoother. I absolutely love the Bell and Carlson Kevlar stock. It is a bit "chunky", but in a good way. Being a single set trigger model, I have read that the CZ trigger is a complicated beast. If you choose not to use the set trigger option, it is rough and has a much harder pull with noticeable over travel. In the set mode, it is smooth and very responsive. While the fit and finish are not bad, it does not compare to my Browning X-Bolt or Tikka T3 and may even be a bit rougher than the Ruger M77. That said, it is built like a tank and is on the heavy side, which I like since it is a larger caliber. I have used it a couple of times chasing elk in CO but it after a while it becomes heavy when climbing in and out of drainages. The most accurate factory ammo that I have tried is the Norma Oryx. Like the Ruger M77, it is an easy caliber to reload and has very forgiving performance with hand loads (Nosler Partitions and Norma Oryx projectiles).

Ruger M77 Hawkeye: This is one of my favorite hunting rifles that I own; primarily because of the caliber. The 358 Win is a hard-hitting round and is arguably one of the better woods guns out there. I have reloaded Nosler partitions, and Speer Hot-Core and both have proven accurate. For whatever reason, the Mauser-like control feed action has become my favorite. It improves with age and I don't recall ever having a hang-up in chambering or ejecting a round. I have several rifles that have magazines but, I like the convenience of the hinged floor plate, especially out in the field. The trigger performance also has improved with age. While Ruger's may not be known for stellar accuracy, I have not found this to be the case with either my M77 or my Ruger #1 in 45-70 gov't.

I am an older hunter, but I have recently purchased reloading supplies and a new scope for my first benchrest or target rifle. It will be a Ruger M77 mark ii Varmint/Target model in 6.5 Creedmoor. I figure when I get too old to keep up with the group of guys I hunt with, maybe I can at least make it to the bench to punch paper.

In summary, both the Ruger M77 and CZ 550 are good, solid platforms and are proven hunting rifles. I don't think you can go wrong with either model.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts