CZ 527 - Lux or American?

YZ-80

Alright, Darn it! I've finally realized how irresponsible I've been in not having a .22 Hornet in my safe. Cooper doesn't make a repeater and Anschutz has discontinued the model I was wanting so I'm pretty sure I'm going with a CZ 527. Should I get the American or the Lux? I know bolt clearance to the scope objective can also sometimes be an issue with these (got a 452 and a 455) so I'd also be interested in how you've got your optic set up (bases/rings). I may run a rail like the one pictured. I have a nice little VX-1 (2 X 7) I could plop on it but I'm thinking something 3X9 or 4X12 might be more appropriate. Lemme know your thoughts LRH!

593C7487-4FDF-41AE-8033-6BB841677AFE.png

Get the American. Between myself and several friends, we have 4 hornets and they all shoot amazing. Stock rings with either 3-9 or 4-12 Leupolds. No issues with scope clearance.

Get the American. Between myself and several friends, we have 4 hornets and they all shoot amazing. Stock rings with either 3-9 or 4-12 Leupolds. No issues with scope clearance.

I'm guessing you're saying to get the American because its better suited to an optic? I have read that the Lux is not as well balanced (designed to shoot irons) with a scope, although it is drilled for mounting one. Kind of a bummer because I like the look of the Lux so much but I guess form follows function.

Thanks for the tip on the scope. I have just the thing - a very clean, old gloss finish VX-2 in 4 X 12! I'll pull it off one of my .243s and ready it for the CZ.

Alright, Darn it! I've finally realized how irresponsible I've been in not having a .22 Hornet in my safe. Cooper doesn't make a repeater and Anschutz has discontinued the model I was wanting so I'm pretty sure I'm going with a CZ 527. Should I get the American or the Lux? I know bolt clearance to the scope objective can also sometimes be an issue with these (got a 452 and a 455) so I'd also be interested in how you've got your optic set up (bases/rings). I may run a rail like the one pictured. I have a nice little VX-1 (2 X 7) I could plop on it but I'm thinking something 3X9 or 4X12 might be more appropriate. Lemme know your thoughts LRH!

View attachment 188580
American for sure, better shape stock for shooting prone

I'm guessing you're saying to get the American because its better suited to an optic? I have read that the Lux is not as well balanced (designed to shoot irons) with a scope, although it is drilled for mounting one. Kind of a bummer because I like the look of the Lux so much but I guess form follows function.

Thanks for the tip on the scope. I have just the thing - a very clean, old gloss finish VX-2 in 4 X 12! I'll pull it off one of my .243s and ready it for the CZ.

I just like the lines of the American better. Plus I didn't want the open sights and drop in the stock.
If you really like the Lux better, I'd get that one. If it turns out that you don't like it, you could always put it in an American stock.

Well guys, I'm gonna go with the American. Now, I gotta swap some optics around. I'm thinking I'll either steal a nice old gloss Leupy off my Cooper (4X12) or a little 2x7 Leupy off my Marlin. Which would you choose?

Will probably go with the medium height Burris rings (specific for the CZ 527).

I'm not going to tool up to reload for it just yet. Gonna get 100 rounds of the 45 grain Hornady PSPs and see how they do. Wish me luck!

Watch going with a scope that has a large diameter eye piece. The micro bolt handle can get close.

Watch going with a scope that has a large diameter eye piece. The micro bolt handle can get close.
I think I'll be OK with the medium height ring from Burris. I'm more concerned about the 50 mm bell on that 4x12. We'll see. I think it will work on the American but not on the Lux. If not I have some other options. Really excited to get this rifle.

If it's just a general knock around rifle, I'd use the 2x7. The size would be well proportioned to the rifle. My most accurate one had a B&L 2-6 that worked great. I don't know if you reload but the Hornady 35 or 40 gr V-max bullets have shot in every hornet I've been around. The 40 gr will require a magazine modification to load in the magazine.

Hope you have enjoy your new rifle!

I have a 527 in 7.62x39. I love it. It has a redfield 3x9 on it. I will probably change it one day to a 2x7. It doesn't need a 3x9. It is by far my favorite rifle to carry because it is so light.

I'd either go American if you're going to scope or get the carbine if you want irons, although I have always wanted a carbine in 7.62x39. The american stock is still lower than I like with how high you have to mount the scope to clear the bolt handle. I vaguely remember there was someone who used to sell a scalloped bolt handle that let you mount the scope lower if its an issue for you.

I have a model they sold as "fancy walnut", oil finish on turkish walnut with rosewood grip caps. It shoots great with 40 - 52 gr bullets. My two gripes are that I wish it had a faster twist than 1 in 12 for .223 and that the barrel didnt heat up to fast. Maybe I should've gotten the varmint, but I love the lightweight, mauser action is top notch, and even without a single photo I couldn't resist the "fancy walnut" title.

ETA: found the scalloped bolt handles
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/pricelist.php

Attachments

• IMG_20180608_171124289.jpg
    IMG_20180608_171124289.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20180608_171325785.jpg
    IMG_20180608_171325785.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
I'd either go American if you're going to scope or get the carbine if you want irons, although I have always wanted a carbine in 7.62x39. The american stock is still lower than I like with how high you have to mount the scope to clear the bolt handle. I vaguely remember there was someone who used to sell a scalloped bolt handle that let you mount the scope lower if its an issue for you.

I have a model they sold as "fancy walnut", oil finish on turkish walnut with rosewood grip caps. It shoots great with 40 - 52 gr bullets. My two gripes are that I wish it had a faster twist than 1 in 12 for .223 and that the barrel didnt heat up to fast. Maybe I should've gotten the varmint, but I love the lightweight, mauser action is top notch, and even without a single photo I couldn't resist the "fancy walnut" title.

ETA: found the scalloped bolt handles
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/pricelist.php
Thank you very much for the helpful information! Beautiful rifle and good shooting. I'll definitely keep the scalloped bolt option in mind if it becomes necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.