Cutting Edge performance on game?

Bassnbow

Really looking for some information from people hunting with Cutting Edge bullets. I have a new rifle I'm trying to develop a load for. I live in California and do hunt here, although most of my hunting is spent in other western states. I'm planning on developing a load with mono's , so I don't need a "California" load and an everything else load. I know there a lot of Hammer users on this site and I am really wanting to be one of them, but I'm just not getting the accuracy from them that I want. I will admit I have not given them a fair shake yet, but living in this state I am running out of time to develop a load prior to elk season. I know it sounds early, but because of our fires and fire danger, the forests close to shooting and won't reopen until significant rains come (i.e. December). Unfortunately it's a long drive to get to any range where I can shoot at a decent distance. Forest currently still open, but I'm sure not for long.

My rifle is a 280 AI with a 26" barrel. I have tried 140 absolute hammers and 143 hammer hunters, but really haven't got the accuracy I was hoping for (3/4"- 1"). I will likely continue trying to develop a load, because I've seen Butter Beans posts regarding improved accuracy with crimping. I would like to experiment with it, but until just recently I was not about to get his recommended crimping tool (backordered). I have also had decent luck with Barnes in the past and am getting about the same group size (3/4") with 145 LRX. I just recently tried Cutting Edge 152 Maximus and they are grouping great in this rifle (3/8"-1/2") with 3 different loads. I know all rifles are different and prefer certain bullets over others, but I really like what I've seen posted about performance of the Hammers on game.

For info I'm getting right around 2950-3,000 fps with the Cutting edge (about 100-125 slower than the Hammer's).

What I'm hoping to find are some hunters using Cutting Edge on game that can give me first hand knowledge of their performance. I'm sure they are fine on deer and antelope size game, but how about elk?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at Badlands and GS Custom too. California sucks...I'm shooting Hammers, Badlands and Barnes LRX...any will be fine on deer/antelope...dead is dead. I don't know about elk personally but I've seen others use Cutting Edge with success. What ranges are you thinking for elk? It's REALLY hard to beat a Partition or an A-Frame for elk at decent ranges...but I don't mind switching bullets when hunting in a non-Commie state.

Likely up to 500 yards, but am pretty comfortable up to 700ish. I'm mainly questioning the performance of the Cutting edge on game, because they shoot so well out of my rifle. I've been shooting 190 Bergers for years in a 300 win with great results on elk, but would like to switch to mono's.