Custom Tikka .260

Cduff

Hey all!

Been a while since Ive cruised the forums here! thought ild share my first "Custom Build". I finally took the plunge a picked up a Tikka CTR for my first long range rig, mostly just a range toy but does see a bit of action on the odd coyote hunt. Topped it off with a Vortex PST 6-24.
Screenshot_2017-01-30-14-46-45-1.png

Decided i wasnt a fan of the black on black so i broke out the krylon
Screenshot_2016-07-31-00-17-08-1.png

The gun shot great, especially once i got a load dialed in for it but wanted to see if i could squeeze a bit more accuracy out of it and though bedding it would do the trick. Thought about upgrading the factory stock, it was pretty nice for a piece of tuperware, even got to the point of stiffening the forend and preparing it for bedding but at the last minute found a good deal on a boyds tacticool stock. (already dirt cheap so i couldnt pass it up). i got the stock in and set to work. after everything was said and done i pillar and full length bedded the action, added epoxy grip surfaces, flush cups, an adjustable cheek rest and dialed in the length of pull. pretty darn happy with it for about $250 and a few hours work! after the bedding itll put 5 shots inside a 1/4" center to center.

20161014_130356(0).jpg

2016-10-15 13.59.30-1.jpg

still have a lot of plans for it but right now just enjoying shooting it!

Very nice looking set-up. Glad it's shooting so well for you. Not a bad background for a day of shooting.

Very nice setup! Until folks own a Tikka they dont appreaciate how much Sako knows about how to make a barrel!
I have a pretty similar setup in a T3 6.5x55, Boyds Thumbhole blocked n beded, toped off with a Weaver Tactical will upload a pic to compare.
I almost bought the 260, but already had cases n dies for the 6.5 and that was the caliber my Dad hunted with most of his life........ you know how that is.
What the "epoxy grip surfaces" you added? I cant seam to make them out, aftermarket ??? Sound like a good idea on a factory Tikka stock!

Thanks guys! its a shooter for sure, hoping to make this barrel last but when its worn out i think i may give criterions new barrel a try. Really like the 6.5 especially with 130gr bergers but i think the 20" tube is holding me back. the price on the criterion is right and really like the savage barrel nut, no good smiths near me as far as ive found so itld save a lot of hassle, just hope it shoots as well as sako made it!

What the "epoxy grip surfaces" you added? I cant seam to make them out, aftermarket ??? Sound like a good idea on a factory Tikka stock!

Ill try to get a picture for you! basically just JB quickweld tacked up to make a grippy surface. Really come to appreciate it especially slinged up. look forward to seeing your rifle! The T3 is a heck of a gun, especially for the money. Glad i stepped out of the "norm" of remmys and savage.

20170202_193637.jpg

heres the surface on the forend, like most things on this rifle, not the prettiest but dirt cheap and quick. A 5.99 tube of JB, some painters tape, a popsicle stick and about 10 minutes of your time.

I just covered the area i wanted to do with painters tape, drew on the shape i wanted, cut it out, mixed up and put on a thin layer of epoxy, waited a few minutes for it to get tacky and made the peaks by "tacking up" the epoxy with the popsicle stick.

I am assuming That is JB "Weld" ??? I have a T/C Venture that shoots like a Tikka that has these rubberized panels by Hogue,
Where you did the Epoxy magic, those panels are perfect but don't see anyone else using them. You have good idea with your
Epoxy "panels" as well. May have to try it! Thanks for sharing.
E

I love my Tikka CTR in 6.5. The stock is sort of cheapo looking but I am afraid to do anything with it because the gun shoots so well.

Hey guys.
I was looking for some advice & help in deciding what I should do? I'm going to buy a 260 rem, and not sure if I should pillar, & glass bed the factory stock or should I buy a aftermarket stock? I have a 300 RUM with a HS precision that I glass bedded the lug as the stock has an aluminum block & I like the stock & accuracy. I'm not trying to start a war on which stocks are the best aftermarket but would like some help & advice. Thanks

Personally I say go with an aftermarket stock then you can bed from there. I was about to pillar and full length bed the factory stock for this rifle but a deal came up on the boyds stock I couldn't refuse. You can do it, it's fairly straight forward to do, but it's a ton of work and you don't really know how long it'll last. I know a couple guys who swear up and down they did everything right and it still failed a few hundred rounds later. On the other hand there are people who have done it and still going strong, just the luck of the draw and very thurough prep work.

I'm a bit biased but Ild definitely recommend the boyds if you plan on bedding to begin with and if you don't mind doing a bit of work. For the price it's about what you'ld expect but like I said with a bit of work it's worth every penny and then some. Really depends on what your budget is otherwise. I know tons of people run bell and carlson with no complaints. Great option if youre on a smaller budget and want something to pull out of the box and shoot. If you've got a bit more to spend manners is the way to go imho. Once you get to that tier of stocks they're all pretty much good to go. Pick the design you like and run with it.

I will check out boyds for sure. I'm leaning towards an aftermarket stock, and was looking at Mcmillan, Manners, & HS Precision. I realize HS Precision is on the bottom of the ones I mentioned, but I have one on my 300 RUM so I guess I have faith in them. If I go with Mcmillan do I have to bed them, do they come bedded? Also same with boyds & Manners?
Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.