Custom sizing dies

Mike D Texas

I need a custom sizing die for a wildcat that I recently built. I have a couple of Whidden custom does that are good but they are expensive and lead time is long.

Who else makes custom does that should consider? I prefer full length bushing dies.

Hornady will make you a custom die. I actually prefer Hornady dies over everything else besides Redding. Call me crazy but I don't see any problem with them. They're reasonably priced and you can get a micrometer adjustable seating stem for like $35

Mike you might try Short Action Customs. I think he's making custom dies but no clue on price. They've done a little work for me and I've been impressed so far

Hornady will make you a custom die. I actually prefer Hornady dies over everything else besides Redding. Call me crazy but I don't see any problem with them. They're reasonably priced and you can get a micrometer adjustable seating stem for like $35

I called Hornady a few months back and they stopped taking custom orders for the time being. Has that changed? Hopefully because I need some!

Kinda depends on how wild the wildcat is, and your sizing plan for it.
What's your final cartridge?
Modified 6.5 SAUM.
831F3FEA-1E2A-4C41-B4C4-CD06D84E773E.jpeg

I need a custom sizing die for a wildcat that I recently built. I have a couple of Whidden custom does that are good but they are expensive and lead time is long.

Who else makes custom does that should consider? I prefer full length bushing dies.
Have you asked your gunsmith if he could build yours? My gunsmith is building mine.

How is he building it? Don't you normally have to have a sizing reamer ground? What is he using for the die blank?
Yes, he ordered a sizing reamer from PT&G off my custom reamer blueprint. I do not remember the brand of the die blank, but I can ask him if you want me to. It should be here any day now from nitriding. Mine is a .338 NMI, and he will use a Forster .338 WM seating die and my custom chamber reamer to modify it. I, too, like the Whidden dies, which was my original plan until my gunsmith offered the option, but as you noted, the price and turnaround time have significantly increased. Since a friend is also building the same chambering; it is a better route for us.

I do not know their current delivery times, but another source for custom dies is https://newlonprecision.com/. They also carry blank dies.

1671016606665.png

Ed

Last edited:
Yes, he ordered a sizing reamer from PT&G off my custom reamer blueprint. I do not remember the brand of the die blank, but I can ask him if you want me to. It should be here any day now from nitriding. Mine is a .338 NMI, and he will use a Forster .338 WM seating die and my custom chamber reamer to modify it. I, too, like the Whidden dies, which was my original plan until my gunsmith offered the option, but as you noted, the price and turnaround time have significantly increased. Since a friend is also building the same chambering; it is a better route for us.

I do not know their current delivery times, but another source for custom dies is https://newlonprecision.com/. They also carry blank dies.

View attachment 418113

Ed
I saw the newlon dies but was confused by their statement about using the chamber reamer to create the die.

I will probably call Hornady and see what their options are.

I saw the newlon dies but was confused by their statement about using the chamber reamer to create the die.

I will probably call Hornady and see what their options are.
Did you call Newlon for clarification?

I, too, considered Hornady custom dies. I queried Hornady for a hydraulic forming die via e-mail, but their response was to call them personally instead. When I did and explained my project, the person I was talking to sounded confused and did not earn my vote of confidence at the time (~3 months ago). I might re-engage and, hopefully, speak to a more knowledgeable person. Good luck!

Ed

ADDED:

My gunsmith used blank dies from PT&G but have used Newlon's before.

Last edited:
Did you call Newlon for clarification?

I, too, considered Hornady custom dies. I queried Hornady for a hydraulic forming die via e-mail, but their response was to call them personally instead. When I did and explained my project, the person I was talking to sounded confused and did not earn my vote of confidence at the time (~3 months ago). I might re-engage and, hopefully, speak to a more knowledgeable person. Good luck!

Ed
if you own a custom chamber reamer just buy a die blank and let your smith go to town, Whidden sells replacement plunger kit or let your smith make his own and you have a hydraulic form die likely faster and cheaper than a one off made on a cnc lathe.

Whidden makes quality dies, I have several sets including forming dies, but the wait times can be long and expensive