Custom/semi-custom

Why, can you explain.

And yes it's 850-899 depending on your choice but it includes bottom metal, trigger and mag. So I was only including the value of the action by saying "half"
Do you have a "can't exceed this" number for your budget? Just curious because early on you said you liked the PH2 (nice looking rifle and the Seekins crew are good people), but you could buy the action and build it for less. I really do not think that is possible with an action price of $1200. I don't even know if you could beat $1,900 if you started with a Tikka action and used their trigger guard and mag.

I originally thought seekins action were same on ph2 and element. Built cheaper than the element. I understand I couldn't build cheaper than the ph2. I don't really have a max amount. I was trying to get to a working rifle around $2500 though. With upgrades over time I understand I would have to spend more

Short being 24" or 20"? Sorry for all the questions im new.
20" is, "Short" for, a big Magnum Cartridge like the 7 PRC that's, capable of, good Velocity,.. IMO
20-24" Barrels, Cost the same, so, IT's,.. FREE,.. Velocity
Unless, you think it's, "unweildly," go 24" and keep, the extra, 120 FPS as, could come in Handy "Way," out there !

Last edited:
I'd do a 22" or 24" with brake or 20" with 6-7" suppressor. I want it light weight, 7prc. to be able to ethically kill elk and deer at ranges out to 800-1000 yards. I know my skill is the limiting factor and I don't expect to reach out 1000 yards but I want the rifle to be plenty capable to do so. It's hard because every time I ask a question there are so many different answers. In my job I can't be indecisive but I struggle when spending money. I like to hear the argument why each option is the better option and weigh the pros and cons, prioritize, then hope I make a decision before someone brings up another aspect to cause me to waffle again. Originally I wanted a 8lb max, scope and all, 7prc. If I buy a factory gun the seekins element is the max price. If I custom or semi custom getting close to that to get it shooting, then upgrading later is possible. When given a suggestion the why it's better is important so I can decide if the why is important enough to me to go one way or the other. Is the origin better than the tikka? Is it worth the cost kind of better? To suppress or not to? 20" suppressed vs 22 or 24" w/ brake? SS or CF?
Brand of barrels and stocks I think I have narrowed down enough the rest I feel like I'm stuck in a whirlwind.

Last edited:
I'd do a 22" with 2" brake or 20" with 6-7" suppressor. It's hard because every time I ask a question there are so many different answers. In my job I can't be indecisive but I struggle when spending money. I like to hear the argument why each option is the better option and weigh the pros and cons, prioritize, then hope I make a decision before someone brings up another aspect to cause me to waffle again. Originally I wanted a 8lb max, scope and all, 7prc. If I buy a factory gun the seekins element is the max price. If I custom or semi custom getting close to that to get it shooting, then upgrading later is possible. When given a suggestion the why it's better is important so I can decide if the why is important enough to me to go one way or the other. Is the origin better than the tikka? Is it worth the cost kind of better? To suppress or not to? 20" suppressed vs 22 or 24" w/ brake? SS or CF?
Brand of barrels and stocks I think I have narrowed down enough the rest I feel like I'm stuck in a whirlwind.
YUP,. you will get,. 100 DIFFERENT, answers and, many BIASED "opinions" on, HERE !
Sort thru them and DO what,.. YOU, like and can afford !
I hunt big Game with, 24" Barrels, NO Brake,.. My 6'1", very strong, son, is building, a 7 PRC with 24" Proof, bbl., PLUS a 2.5" Brake for controlling,.. Recoil and Muzzle Jump.
He wants, ALL the Velocity he can get for, L R shooting / Elk Hunting and can easily wield, a 26-27 Inch, 8 Pound, Rifle.
NOBODY on HERE can do what's, "Right" for YOU ! They are, suggestions and,.. WHAT They,.. "Like" or, have used !
Tikka's are the Cheaper way to "Go" and that, was my "suggestion" as, I have 3 of them and they,.. "Work" fine.

Last edited:
I really do appreciate the help from everyone. My statement was really a long winded story of how I have a problem making decisions when it comes to spending money. Id probably be better off just giving money to someone and what ever I get I get rather than deciding myself

For barrel length I would get the longest you think you want as you can always cut length off but you can't add length to a barrel.

I really do appreciate the help from everyone. My statement was really a long winded story of how I have a problem making decisions when it comes to spending money. Id probably be better off just giving money to someone and what ever I get I get rather than deciding myself
You won't get "Hurt" using, a Tikka or, Origin for, the Action with, a "Good" Barrel, installed,.. properly !
NOR by, buying,.. a Seekin's Element, Rifle !
Building / Buying, a Rifle should be Fun, so sort thru the posts and try to figure out, what YOU, like or, if a post gets, SEVERAL "Likes", then, it's probably,.. a very GOOD, "Choice" or, idea !
Good luck and watch your, Budget !

Last edited:
The origin actions are attractive because you can use a savage prefit barrel and remington footprint bottom metal, stocks. But making 8lbs might be an issue. Based on google fu I'm not sure a Tikka action weighs much less.

I see that video as influencer hype myself.

A 308 can bang steel at 1k so most any 7mm from a 708 on up should do it as well.

They left out one key number, muzzle velocity. With that you can determine what the impact velocity will be on target at a given range and altitude. The minimum impact velocity is typically the threshold by which your shooting distance is limited with high SD bullets like these heavy vlds.

I'm sure that mv went down with barrel length, the question is how much.

FWIW, I'm a 7 prc fan and would be building one if I didn't already have a 7 saum slinging 180s at 2840 in a 21 inch barrel to .5 moa at 850.
Muzzle velocity were shown at the 1:45-2:00 mark of the video for all 3 barrel lengths as well as twist rate and barrel manufacturers.

20" Proof 1:8" 2862 fps
22" Proof 1:8" 2927 fps
24" Lilja 1:8" 2965 fps

Per my son's Calculations, His 7 PRC Tikka, will be, Sub 8 Pounds ( 8.25 lbs. Max ) with, a Proof 24 Inch, Braked Barrel, Modified / Bedded, Factory stock and, a 20 / 24 Ounce Scope with, Talley Mounts
The origin actions are attractive because you can use a savage prefit barrel and remington footprint bottom metal, stocks. But making 8lbs might be an issue. Based on google fu I'm not sure a Tikka action weighs much less.

Last edited:
Seems like the action are similar in weight, you can cut weight by going to a steel pencil barrel but that means you won't be able to run a suppressor. Use a BDL floor plate, a light weight stock I use a peak 44 at 19 oz. Be mindful of the scope. You will be able to make weight by purchasing a light scope. Keep in mind the 7 prc has about 27 ft lbs of recoil not as bad as a 300 win mag when doing a light weight rifle the recoil is felt more so than heavier rifle.