Custom Rifle from Sharp Shooter Supply

MarioT

Can someone give me help on what a great custom rifle would be from Sharp Shooter Supply? I want it in 30-06, with a good twist in the barrel and so on.

The reason I am asking for help is because I am new to this stuff and I want to just get some ideas from people that know about it. So what I ask is can some people or someone help me from part to part on what to buy and so on.

Thanks in advance,
Mario

Call the owner of SSS .

For a 30-06 a long action[blueprinted].
A trigger assembly.
Barrel and stock.
Scope and scope bases and rings.-Mike

Blueprinted means trued/straighten/squared, etc.

Those questions will get you going. The conversation will most probably get pretty lengthy and cover several sessions. That's the fun part....

Hmmm, good. Well i'm not going to do it now, I just wanted to get some info for when ever I do decide to do it.

Thanks for the help.

I have been playing and building a number of Savages/Stevens over the last couple of years and can offer these ideas. I assume that since you are using SSS that you are playing with a Savage.

If all you want is a 30-06 heavy barrel for moderate range shooting, find yourself a 112BVSS, bed it and you will have a 1/2MOA or better shooter with handloads. Personally, I would suggest a 7RM as the ballistics are head and shoulders over the 30-06.

If you need a custom, then start with a Stevens. Fred will adjust the timing on the bolt as this will make it easier to open. Very little if any work is needed on the action.

The traditional blueprinting does not really apply to the Savages as the floating bolt head ensures even contact between the lugs. From feedback I have read from smiths and from my own project rifles, the Savage actions come pretty straight out of the box anyways and any slop is taken care of by the bolt head.

Swap in a SSS trigger. These are very nice and can be tuned down to 12ozs. If you want lighter, go with a rifle basix 2.

For barrels, SSS will offer douglas. I would look at the 280 or better yet, the 280AI. The ballistics are close to the 7RM and way better then any 30-06 loading.

Have a look at their new lam stocks and those offered through his sister company Stockade stocks (fiberglass). There are some very nice styles that will suit any approach to LRH. Brownells carries some too.

Get the stock and action properly bedded even if there are pillars and the alum bed. Close doesn't count when you are looking for max accuracy.

Pac nor makes pre fit barrels and I feel their quality a bit better then Douglas. Talk to Fred about that. He seems to be a very straight up kind of guy.

I like the Farrel 20MOA base and Burris Rings w/inserts to handle the optics duties.

From here, just load up some ammo and have at it.

I have shot a number of factory rifles and they have all shot at least 3/4MOA. Most were 1/2 MOA or better at 200yds and sub MOA out as far as my Leica 800 can range.

That is pretty amazing performance from a factory rifle but these Savage/Stevens do it time and time again. So unless there is a particular cal or stock you want, I would just go with a factory rifle. You might gain 1/4MOA by going with a match barrel over a factory pipe. Then again, you may not.

Jerry

Wow, thanks for that enlightening post Jerry. I appreciate it that you took your time to tell me this information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. If I was to go factory, like I am now, do you have a selection of rifles you would recommend? The Remington 700 series? Savage series with the awsome Accutrigger? or something else? All I want is an inexpensive rifle that has good/great accuracy at atleast medium ranges. I prefer 30-06, considering that is the caliber I use now. All I will be hunting is Whitetail deer, here in Western New York, at Zoar Valley state park or somewhere around here in my area. I'm into hunting, but I am new (infact I still have to get my license for next season), I will hunt usually on weekends or whenever I can, since I am still in school.

Thanks a lot for the help. I have something else to ask of you, it would be great if you can do it, but maybe another time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Mario

Spades,

Jerry Teo has given you some excellent advice and if you heed it closely you can't go wrong.

I'm not a big fan of the AccuTrigger and I see that Jerry recommended a SSS trigger. I agree with that advice too. I've owned 5 Savages with AccuTriggers and only one of them was worth a hoot. The SSS trigger and the Rifle Basix triggers are EXCELLENT!

If you think that you might sell the rifle and move on to another one in the next year or so (like so many of us do) then I strongly advise that you use a Remington for your build. They hold their resale value WAAAAY better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I learned that the HARD way when I tired of Savages. It cost me a pretty big loss to discount them before they finally sold.

$bob$

LDHUNTER<

NW FL piney woods hhhmmmmm Where that might be? bet Ive been there hahaha.....I aint from where you see!

Seems that it is all but impossible to deal with SSS. Unfortunately for me, I chose SSS to do 6mmBR build for me in April'12. Even more foolish, I prepaid the build when I shipped my new Savage action.I have found it all but totally impossible get any status information on my build. I was once able get a estimate of when the build would begin (long passed). Later I received a response to a email when asked for a price for installing a bipod stud in the stock.
More recently I have been unable to make contact by phone and receive no response to my email inquiries.
The SSS website has been down for three days or more.
I greatly regret my initial decision to go to SSS for my build, my regrets might one day be tempered should I one day receive my rifle and find that it actually performs well.
Whatever the quality of the work and products from SSS, no company with such terrible customer relations should be allowed to stay in business. I have attempted to contact SSS to purchase a replacement stock for my Savage MkII but have since decided that I am not willing to deal with their unacceptable service another time!

Carljohndavis mine is a 6mm Norma BR. with a 26" Brux 1 in 8" twist S/S barrel with a .271 necked chamber. Most do a .272. No neck turning needed and it shoots great. I shoot Berger 105 gr. VLDs.

This is the one Stockade Gunstocks made for me. In fact Mr. Kevin Rayhill built the whole rifle for me. You need to know that the composite stocks will weigh about 2 pounds less than the wood laminated ones. SSS did do the "BLING" on the bolt for me. All the work that both of them did for me was top notch. In fact the first 5 shot group shot from it at 100 yds. measured .084". My best at 200 yds. measured .375 for 5 shots. It is one of my "hunting" rifles. gun) - - - - - - - - - -

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=366263

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=374570&highlight=

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=

joseph

PS: Had the "bling" in 2 weeks and the rifle in 5 weeks. I bet the time now will be a lot longer because they have a lot more orders to fill. They both have excellent reputations. As for answering the phone by SSS you are better off calling them on Thursday. You won't regret having either one do your work.

Attachments

• bling 4.jpg
    bling 4.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 118
  • setup 4.jpg
    setup 4.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 114
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.