Custom made shoulder rifle

AFISHN

This is my first post.A member of this forum directed me to this site.SO I AM THE ULTIMATE NEWBIE,but as I learn from the post on this site maybe I can make some small contribution later on.Anyway......

I am a long time deer hunter who always used a .308 or 30-06 rifle for deer hunting.Over the last several years I have gradually changed my style & preference from still hunting to glassing for long times with strong optics.Hill to hill.Hill looking down on clearings.My legs and body are still strong for a 64 yr old,but I am losing upper body strength despite working out a bit.So weight is a factor,though I don't intend to lug the shoulder gun 3-5 miles into the woods,as I currently do with my 308/30-06

I have decided to sell most of my rifles and have a custom shoulder rifle built to be able to take those 600-1,000yd shots.
I am a practice,practice,weenie when it comes to shooting everything from shotguns to rifles.

I don't want a bench gun---too much stuff to lug around(but maybe was thinking of starting with a good bench gun and customizing that down.Bad idea?).

I really need some input f because of my current lack of knowledge:

Suggested actions
Suggested calibers.
Suggested stocks
Suggested scopes:make and magnification
Suggested gunsmiths
Any other input I ought to consider

Thanks for your help

Welcome aboard......

You listed 600 yds and beyond.

What kind of actions do you have on hand.

There's a lot of ways to skin this cat.

Maybe the addition of a different barrel on the 06 is all ya might need?

Check this link for some info that may be interesting to you.
Go here: Link

Then on that thread there's a "This Post" link by Gonehuntinagain. Give that one a click. The guy in the pic is kinda funny lookin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but the elk and bullet look pretty good.

Merry Christmas!

You are setting in the right area for what you want. You have Bruce Baer and Mark King, both super 1k BR smiths, top 10 1k shooters and long practiced LR hunters right in PA. go to www.6mmbr.com and look at recommended gunsmiths section for info on both.

Bruce Baer sells some of the best laminated stocks around. He also now selling a new line of custom actions from Lawton. 1.350 and 1.450 in diameter for $695. CNC machined, sako type extractor built on the lug, RB or LB, LP, RP or dual port with or without mag. The 1.350 is will fit rem inlet with minor tweaking and rem trigger.

Jerry stillers (Viper Actions) new predator in long action $695 would be good choice also. He is making and the short action now and long action is due out in couple months I believe. Tighter than 700 but tolerances are about .003-.004 less than true BR actions, so speck of dirt will not lock it up.

He is making me a 1.5 lb lightweight wood thumbhole stock (butternut)now for a 300 WSM carry gun. Stock Rem SPS in 300 WSM with 24" factory tube for now and should be just under 7 lbs w/o scope when I get the new stock on.

for a carry gun I would stay with Broughton or Krieger barrel #4-7 or 8 contour depending on exact weight desired at no more than 28" in either 7 WSM or 30 such as 30 WSM , or 300 Win mag or 300 Weatherby with min SAAMI chamber and neck. Will fit all factory ammo but not sloppy as factory chamber. I built a 7 STW that weighed under 7 lbs that would shoot in .3s for 5 shots slow fire. 300 WSM will fit in short action and saves about 6-10 oz weight and easily goes 1k with up to 210 bullet. Plus the 300 WSM will go at least double the barrel life of the other mags from what we have found.

If you are talking carry gun, shots out to say 600-700, then look at a ballistic plex, boone and crocket or TDS type reticle. with 300 yd zero any of the above will give you 600-700 plus yards without touching knob. I have set up the all three to do that. Burris scopes with the B plex, leupolds the B&C and either Kahles, or Swarovski on the TDS. Kahles start at $725 (new) and swarovski start at $900 for used.

You can get target turrets on the Burris and some Swarovski to make the longer shots. The nikon line with target turrets is good also. Kenton industries makes a line of turret caps that are calibrated for your load and marked for ranges for $89

BH

I really don't want to use any of the actions I have on hand(for mostly sentimental reasons--i get really attached to my guns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

I spent 3 hours reading older posts on this forum.Took a bunch of notes--but right now a litle overwhelmed with info.

Will spend a lot of time in the next 2 months reading,calling and narrowing down the specs.

But please keep the info flowing I'm as excited about this project as I have been hunting in 20 years!

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.