Custom made generatİon rİfle

soundwaves

ok sory about the title. lm gona get a Custom rifle made out of very nice turkish walnut. it wont be a rifle that l will hunt with all the time. it gona be one of them guns that you hand down the line of the family for generations. you know the types of things with the family sirname engraved on the barrel in gold writeing and so what.
now l want it to have long barel life so magnums are out of the question. l also dont want to brake my great grand childrens shoulders so no ELİPHANT GUNS..!!! what would be a good caliber for a rifle like this that is perfect for İBEX, Wild boar, RED STAG ? l was thinking of the 30-06 as it has stood the test of time and it looks like it will keep going. the other classic round is the 8mm mauser but that lacks the power to reach out to distances. l love the 270 but that can be a bit week for huge wild boar if shot placement isnt 100%
so what caliber would you guys choose if you were building something like this.

just for the sake of starting a good old fashioned chat with good old fashioned rounds involved. non of these new generation wildcats and fancy fashionable things That wont stand the test of time, that would be hard for grandchildren to find the ammo 70 years from now LOL

ps: the gun will be a bolt action but cant rule out a nice lever action specialy when thay can be build with mags now adays to shoot rounds like 30-06 and stuff

hagn-hend-cased-sm.jpg
there are some beautiful break open rifles out there to so wont keep them out of my decision either. something like this one wouldnt be too bad but with a better scope ofcourse

I would suggest the the 270 with a fast twist barrel. It can handle the newer high B C bullets that would be more than adequate for anything you mentioned. Can also get milder loads if desired. It is an old standby that has proven itself to be reliable. Ammo is
available about everywhere.

With where you are I'd look hard at the 6.5x55 and 6.5x62, 7x62S, and 8mm Mauser along with the 7.92 German Mauser and .303 British.

The 6.5's are more than adequate flat shooters with relatively low recoil that are more than adequate for everything on your list.

The 7x57 and 7x62S both offer a great medium to short range flat shooter capable of reaching well out there beyond 600yds if necessary.

The latter two offerings give you considerably more energy with 180gr + bullets.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably go with one of the 6.5's or 7's.

I don't know anything about wild boar, but if you want it to be something the great great Grandkids will enjoy shooting the .270 would be an excellent choice. It's low recoil and flat shooting characteristics make it just about perfect.
I use mine for everything from prairie dogs to elk and enjoy every squeeze of the trigger.

With where you are I'd look hard at the 6.5x55 and 6.5x62, 7x62S, and 8mm Mauser along with the 7.92 German Mauser and .303 British.

The 6.5's are more than adequate flat shooters with relatively low recoil that are more than adequate for everything on your list.

The 7x57 and 7x62S both offer a great medium to short range flat shooter capable of reaching well out there beyond 600yds if necessary.

The latter two offerings give you considerably more energy with 180gr + bullets.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably go with one of the 6.5's or 7's.
l dont know much about the 7x62S but seems like a barrel burner. l really like the 8x68s but that to burns barrels quickly aswell.

I don't know anything about wild boar, but if you want it to be something the great great Grandkids will enjoy shooting the .270 would be an excellent choice. It's low recoil and flat shooting characteristics make it just about perfect.
I use mine for everything from prairie dogs to elk and enjoy every squeeze of the trigger.

thats what l have been thinking. l love the .270 if l had to name 4 rounds as my favourit l would go :
1: 7mm rem mag
2: 8x68s
3: .270 win
4: 30-06

the 6.5 just seem to small a bullet to me. but obiously thay do the job pretty good because almost everyone on this site loves them.

l dont know much about the 7x62S but seems like a barrel burner. l really like the 8x68s but that to burns barrels quickly aswell.
Not really. You'd have to work awfully hard to get an 8x68 to burn a modern barrel in less than several thousand rounds, same with the 7x68.

The 6.5x55 and 6.5x57 give moderate performance similar to the .260 and 6.5-.284.

There is however a tradeoff. It taxes a given amount of powder to generate a given amount of power which is needed to have a flat shooting round.

If you want top performance, you do pay for it. If you want to go with something that is nearly impossible to burn out go with the .260, 6.5x55, or .308 or maybe even the .284 but you can have much better peformance if you just make your mind up you're not going to abuse it. Shoot even a .308w fast enough and long enough and you can cook the barrel but you'd have to work awfully hard to get it done.

thats what l have been thinking. l love the .270 if l had to name 4 rounds as my favourit l would go :
1: 7mm rem mag
2: 8x68s
3: .270 win
4: 30-06

the 6.5 just seem to small a bullet to me. but obiously thay do the job pretty good because almost everyone on this site loves them.
The more I shoot the .260 the more impressed I am with it. The 6.5's just got left behind pretty quickly with the advent of the .300wm, and particularly the 7mm RM.

Americans just got caught up in a race to bigger bores and faster rounds for about 40 years or so.

The .270 get's the job done but it really has a relatively small following compared to the 30-06, .308, and 7mm Rem.

Even with the STW though, if I take care of them I can expect them to last for about 2,000 rounds or more without any significant loss in accuracy or velocity by simply having a little patience and discipline behind the gun.

With any of them if you shoot them hot and keep shooting you will cook a barrel sooner or later.

For what you are looking for I would go with the 30'06. You can do anything with it. Recoil a problem? Load it down with a 125 grain bullet or a light 150 load, and Remington and Hornady have managed recoil loads available. Need to reach out, my personal favorite is a 165 but most on here would say 180 which I can't argue with. You can also go heavy with 200-220 grain bullets. Just enough of an engine to make them effective. And I don't care where you go in the world I would wager you can find a box of shells on the shelf. So wether you hand load or not you can't go wrong. My personal list would go something like this:
280AI; 25'06; 30'06; 260. I've always been a fan of the less mainstream cartridges, but for what your looking for I don't think it's the best idea. Even if you do hand load brass could be a problem later on with certain cartridges. Finding factory ammo is sometimes difficult also. I had an argument with a group of guys that included a manager in a Dicks sporting goods a while back about the existence of the 260Rem. None of them had ever heard of it and was telling me I didn't know what I was talking about. Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts