Rifle Shoulder Strap/Sling: Yes or No

General RE LEE

I've always had a shoulder sling with my rifles but I do a lot of hunting out of box blinds where the forestock rests on the window ledge for shots. The sling kinda gets in the way. Also I don't walk very long distances to my tree stands/box blinds.

Anyone ditch the shoulder slings all together? I don't shoot prone with a bipod for my style hunting.

I guess I'm old school but i still use a sling in the regular fashion. Alot of folks go with the quick detachable flush cups on the side of the stock to attach their slings.

If it's a short walk/carry, and your concerned about the sling.....either go with quick detachable swivels or leave the sling at home. I've walked many a mile in the Wyoming hills, and rarely does the sling get used. I hunt with rifle in hand, especially if visibility is less than a couple hundred yards. If on a steep, slick hillside, or climbing a rock face....the sling may get used! memtb

A lot of my rifles are heavy. So I use a sling with them. Most of my slings are 1-1/4" soft nylon. I roll the sling under the fore stock so it rests on the sling laying in the opening. Some of my blinds are set up so I can use a bipod. So the sling isn't an issue in those.

I usually use the wide neoprene slings..just liked the grip while it is shouldered....BUT..couple years ago I bought a 1" wide black nylon with a rubber strip ran in two lines linear with the nylon.....it not only grips and keeps from sliding...the thinner sling finds a place just inside the backpack shoulder straps and rides excellent...
Those two functions are all I ask of a sling.....dont remember where I got it or the name....but I need to replace two more slings....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.