Custom Lefty

Double AA

So I have the bug to build up an all around hunting rifle. Probably a 30 cal mag something or other. Barrel length around 24"-26". I'm thinking a 3.5x10x40 or 44 scope. It will be used for mid to longer range boar and deer hunting. Most of my hunting is in canyons or deserts, so lots of walking and opportunities can come at any range. I want it light and able to take some abuse. Bear in mind I'm a southpaw. I have both Remington 700's and Winchester CRF's to use for the project.

Out of the box every 700 I have shoots under 1" without much load development. I can't say the same about the Winchesters, but they get around 1' with the right combination.

My questions are;

1. Which action should I use? Is one lighter than the other? Is one easier to get consistent accuracy over the other.

2. Who makes a left handed, strong, lightweight stock? It looks like most manufacturers make one for the Remington, but what about for a Winchester?

3. I'm thinking about using a fluted barrel. I know it doesn't save much weight, but it's different and I don't have one.

4. I won't be using a stainless action. Which finishes hold up well?

Any other suggestions?

AA,

I would go with the Rem 700 for a number of reasons. You can get about any stock you want for one although in LH it will narrow your options. Stocks for the Win are few and far between in LH. I would recommend the LH 700 and an HS Precision stock (Pro Series). For a general purpose rifle a #4 fluted barrel will weigh roughly the same as the factory barrel and will shoot extremely well. I have used a number of the teflon finishes in different colors and have been quite happy with them. The will wear but tend to bee quite a bit tougher than bluing and provide a physical barrier from water.

check out the top rifle in the pic, its a 26" 1/9 #5 lilja fluted barreled LH rem 700 in 7mm STW, built by mark bansner, it has a high tech speacialties jade/black stock, a 6.5x20 loopy in loopy mounts weighs in at 8.5 pounds, just a lil too much scope for most hunting but its an awesome rifle, a 160 nosler will run 3340 fps, or a 140 at 3550 both bullets will shoot sub 1/2 MOA.
100_0509.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
1. Which action should I use? Is one lighter than the other? Is one easier to get consistent accuracy over the other.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like a 700 Rem, due to lots of aftermarket parts and most smiths like to work on them

[ QUOTE ]
2. Who makes a left handed, strong, lightweight stock? It looks like most manufacturers make one for the Remington, but what about for a Winchester?

[/ QUOTE ]
High tech specialties makes nice lightweight stocks, you can find them at brownells

[ QUOTE ]
3. I'm thinking about using a fluted barrel. I know it doesn't save much weight, but it's different and I don't have one.

[/ QUOTE ]
they have much more surface area for cooling and theres always the "cool factor"

[ QUOTE ]
4. I won't be using a stainless action. Which finishes hold up well?

[/ QUOTE ]
I like a finish called "metal life" it matches SS
JS

I'm lefty and I use Mcmillian stocks. Great stocks and you can get one for rem or win. I'd still use a rem 700 action just because i'm partial.

I know there are several aftermarket stock makers for the 700. I would imagine each one has something different going on. Is the aluminum bedding block an advantage?

Greetings, fellow lefty!

I have an HS Precision stock with the aluminum block. I can drop a couple different 700's in it and all shoot .75 MOA or better. Nothing against McMillan, just got this one quite cheap.

I have Duracoat finish on a couple rifles and I am not entirely impressed with it, better than nothing, though.

I would say anything flat shooting 6.5 mm on up would suit your purposes, just stuff it with high quality bullets.

Good luck on your project!

"I want it light and able to take some abuse"

Heres my version of a "light and be able to take abuse" Rifle
Its a Bansner "Ultimate Sheep hunter" .300 Win. Mag. w/ a Leuppy Vari XIII 2.5-8. All up & ready to rumble 6 lbs. 2 oz. Costly?...Yes, but worth it IMO.

guns005.jpg

guns008.jpg

Guns023.jpg

I had another Bansner (sold it to a Buddy...still regretting it). I believe they call that Model the "Ultimate One". It was a .280 Rem. Both Rifles based on Rem 700's.

There must be something about the Rem. 700. American/Canadian Rifle builder/Gunsmiths use it more than any other "Factory" action for Custom jobs.

In order to soothe my Heart for letting the .280 go, I have a Borden Timberline on its way. Dressed with Lilja, Hi-Tech, Shilen & chambered in .280 A.I.....I cant wait for the healing to begin!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.