custom FL dies for factory rifles

sorry fellas I had to look at it again. But looked at the SAMMI drawing... apologies.

tight chamber necks to start allows dies to have necks less diameter verses a larger chamber neck that can't be worked with. It makes sense, now. I'd have to go slightly below Sammi max cartridge. So a .3397 neck and a .3404 minimum chamber would have to have a .3387 die neck ?

Last edited:
Oh well, to each there own: different brass will make a slight change also !
I'm into the Redding bushing dies... but If I can't get one, then a standard Whidden bushing die will work too. I know a hunting rifle is fine with looser dimensions but just playing around with it, I'm bored with just loading and shooting, curious to see what it could do, thats all.

Last edited:
Then I guess it would depend on how crazy one wants to get or go $$$$$$ wise to satisfy your desires ! dreams .
just like to experiment that's all. I would think I don't spend a 1/4 of what most guys here spend, so I guess I'm doin ok !! LOL Just because it's not something you wouldn't do, doesn't mean I shouldn't.

Just a simple question; Don't you suppose that what you want to try has been tried many times before? When it comes to the 'basics' shooting, guns and gunsmithing not much has really changed. Certainly, new cartridge designs, new, gotta' have, reloading tools have been introduced. But its like I read somewhere else, "the .22 Creedmoor is nothing more than that .224 Middlestead that your Grandpa was shooting. That's just an example. What was once old is now new. I think you can do much better by just carefully 'bumping' with your FL sizing die so that the body of the cartridge case fits the chamber closer to help with your alinement issues. Maybe just neck sizing, and not even touching the body of the cartridge with the die. Do you have a set of tube mics, where you can measure the wall thickness of the cartridge neck? It needs to be of uniform thickness for even 'bullet pull'. Cartridge concentricity is another concern. And, in the end, it matters how closely that factory chamber is lined-up on the centerline of the bore and the condition of the throat, the bore and the crown.

just a simple answer, would have been 2 or 3 posts instead of 21. You boys are right, I am stuck with the oversized chamber neck. I computed the displacement and what's left over. Neck wall thickness turned to .012 x 2 + .308 bullet diameter = bullet seated neck OD .332. Chamber neck Dia .340 - seated bullet neck OD .332 leave the clearance of .008 between the case neck and chamber neck.

when you're forced to move brass more than 2 or 3 thou TOTAL, it can't stay straight.
agree ?

Last edited:

Recent Posts