Custom 458 B&M (or similar cartridge) loads

375rifleman

Hello I was wondering if anyone has tried to use Lehigh Subsonic Controlled Facturing Bullets in a short action (WSM or SAUM Based) based cartridge ? I am just asking because of their superior Ballistic Coefficients for use in a shorter barreled (16.5"-18") rifles. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

I have been using the .510 Lehigh subsonic fracturing bullets for a few years now. Their advertised BC of almost .9 (just like the .458 bullets) is a little on the optimistic side, by about double. In my ballistic app I have been using the listed BC for the 680 grain .510 sub-fracturing bullets and it has been doing fine out to hunting distance, it's listed as .435 compared to the .884 on their site. However when you punch in those two BC's the difference at 200 is small, but at 500 the two start really separate at least in windage.
Just looking at those projectiles my first thought is no way the BC is that high. Their blunt looking .510 cal sub fracture bullets are listed higher than their more streamlined high velocity bullets.

Thanks Bravo 4 I'm basically just looking for a higher a bully with a higher Ballistic Coefficient to use for a 16.5" - 18" scout rifle and I will be going supersonic that's why I like the B&M Rifle Cartridges or similar Cartridges since they were designed with a shorter barrel in mind.

Be careful with the Lehigh fracturing subsonic bullets at supersonic speeds, Dave Fricke (@Lehigh) told me not to push them past 1400 fps in a 10" twist. Mine being faster twist the limit is about 1200 fps.

Thanks Bravo 4 for the information my only question would be why ? Would it explode ? Are there any other high Ballistic coefficient .458 caliber, .500 caliber, or .510 caliber bullets ? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

They will come apart in flight with too much velocity/RPM. They have pre-scoured machined petals that separate, about 1/3 from the nose (meplat/hollow point) back.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.