Curiosity

JimFromTN

Let me start by saying that I am pretty ignorant when it comes to tactical scopes which is why I ask this. I would like to get into long range shooting and have done a little. I saw the post here about the new sightron S6 1-6 ED scope. I did not want to hijack the thread so I started this one. I am curious as to what the advantages of a 34mm tube on a 1-6 scope are?

My understanding is that the tube does not provide more light and if it does, its insignificant. My understanding is that the larger tube is for increase durability and more internal adjustment. I don't understand the need for more internal adjustment for a 1-6 power scope and a 30mm tube should be more than enough durability for an ar platform unless you are planning to use it to pound stakes into the ground with it.

Generally speaking a larger main tube with be more rigid than a smaller main tube. A larger main tube does also allow for more adjustment in windage and elevation. For medium to longer range shots I think FFP is a must and I would want at least a 10X setup. I am not a huge magnification junkie, but 6X is a bit low for me. The reticle sub tensions are generally fairly hard to see on that low of power.

34mm tubes are easier to get the internal components into and make it easier for the manufacturer to produce a more reliable scope. If it's a straight tube then a 34mm tube size will increase the objective lens allowing more light in.