Crown cleaning

YZ-80

I guess one of the downsides of Supressors is they cause crown fouling more than normal? I used a Harvester 300 on my Tikka. I take the suppressor off every 10 rounds or so at the range and use a soaked Hoppes patch to beep the build up down as much as possible. I also invert the rifle and soak it for a couple hours. Still kinda dirty. I scrape off as much as I can with my finger nail and considered using a firm bristled toothbrush on it. Maybe a bit irrational but scared to do it on such a nice shooting rifle. Anyway, is there an alternative solvent I can use or safe mechanical means to do this more effectively? I wonder if there is a replaceable bushing that could go over the crown to prevent this. For some reason it doesn't seem to build up nearly as much on other rifles I use this suppressor on. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8262.jpeg
    IMG_8262.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 31
I guess one of the downsides of Supressors is they cause crown fouling more than normal? I used a Harvester 300 on my Tikka. I take the suppressor off every 10 rounds or so at the range and use a soaked Hoppes patch to beep the build up down as much as possible. I also invert the rifle and soak it for a couple hours. Still kinda dirty. I scrape off as much as I can with my finger nail and considered using a firm bristled toothbrush on it. Maybe a bit irrational but scared to do it on such a nice shooting rifle. Anyway, is there an alternative solvent I can use or safe mechanical means to do this more effectively? I wonder if there is a replaceable bushing that could go over the crown to prevent this. For some reason it doesn't seem to build up nearly as much on other rifles I use this suppressor on. Thanks!

Pretty much the same, except I use a Q tip to apply some C4 carbon remover inside the crown, let it sit, then use the clean end of the Q tip to clean it out. A Q tip is also a good way to check for burrs or irregular spots in the crown. If those are present, they`ll pull off fibers from the Q tip.