Crown placement question...

Should the crown be at the end of the barrel before the brake, at the end of the brake or both?

Thanks
Speedy.

It should be flush with the back of the first chamber. (if you look inside the first port or chamber of
the break you should not see any barrel except the crown).

To far back, it will disrupt the gas escaping the crown. To far up it will defeat the function of the first chamber or ports.

J E CUSTOM

JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley muzzle brake on my .270 AI.

P1000032_zps1d2ab1df.jpg

P1000033_zps8c1539df.jpg

P1000034_zpsbcdaea90.jpg

I think my question might have been a little confusing. I have a Remington 700 Sendero chambered in 338 RUM. The previouse owner had a shrewd muzzle brake put on it. The brake itself has an 11 Deg. crown on it but the barrel (brake removed) has been faced off square (perpendicular to the bore.) there is no crown what so ever on the end of the barrel where the threads for the brake start.

Here are some pictures. (please see the last picture)

Attachments

• IMG_1088 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1088 (Large).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1087 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1087 (Large).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1084 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1084 (Large).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1083 (Large) Modified.jpg
    IMG_1083 (Large) Modified.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 37
JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley muzzle brake on my .270 AI.

P1000032_zps1d2ab1df.jpg

P1000033_zps8c1539df.jpg

P1000034_zpsbcdaea90.jpg

FEENIX

You obviously have a crown on the end of the brake, It appears you also may have an 11 Deg. crown on the end of the actual barrel. (before the brake.)
Mine doesn't have this.

A crown is a clean exit for the bullet. It can be strait like yours (Some smiths prefer a straight crown
for muzzle brakes because they don't need the protection that an un braked barrel does.

A crown is to protect the muzzle from nicks and scratches. They can be 11o +, recessed, buttoned, chamfered ETC.

I personally like the 11o behind a break so that I can unscrew the brake and install a thread protector
when hunting if the need arrives.

J E CUSTOM

There are a million and one ways to do it. I perfur 11 degree face with a 90 degree chamfer. Like stated above if needed a thread protector can be in installed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.