Crop Dusting

The military is now using a converted crop duster like the one on post #1. Of course since it's the military it has to be gray or black.

Here is a link to the new plane, Sky Warden.

View attachment 482265
I sent this to farmer friend that was the field being done. He immediately replied "Dang! That would be GREAT on woodchucks in the hayfields!!!" Ok couldn't stop laughing thinking of that image!

It's a big thrill for a little while, then it's just like mowing the yard. Back and forth, back and forth.
All while dodging power lines, trees, non target areas and sensitive crops, cars, pets houses etc.
And other aircraft!
I've got several several close friends in the ag pilot business and they definitely earn their money.

1000005089.jpg

Not to be a "Kill Joy", but I would want to be very cautious of what they were spraying and what the drift was. When we did cotton, on occasion, we used a burn-down to defoliate and it was the same nasty stuff they use to defoliate "weed" as well as plants that they make "snort" from. There are several other pesticides and herbicides that have nasty long and short term effects. Of course those implants I use on prairie dogs sure stunt and stops growth also. Go figure.
YMMV

Oh almost forgot, went to college with some guys that were crop dusters. Crazy bunch. All they could talk about was how close to the top of a fence they could get or how close they could get the tail under a high line. Reminded me of how you become a bull rider, fill yer mouth with marbles, spit one out each time you get thrown, when you lost yer marbles, you're a bull rider!

Hope no one gets offended, ive done my fair share of "stuff".

I watched this plane spreading dry fertilizer. Landed,tender truck pulled up refilled fertilizer and back in the air in approximately 10-12 minutes
Awesome to watch

Attachments

• F753D744-247F-4763-87E6-AF428F13F839.jpeg
    F753D744-247F-4763-87E6-AF428F13F839.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 27
We have crop dusters that work out of a area by us, fun to watch.

Kids use to say a crop duster is a person that walks through a crowd and farts the whole time. I suppose that could be dangerous as well in the wrong crowd.

Not to be a "Kill Joy", but I would want to be very cautious of what they were spraying and what the drift was. When we did cotton, on occasion, we used a burn-down to defoliate and it was the same nasty stuff they use to defoliate "weed" as well as plants that they make "snort" from. There are several other pesticides and herbicides that have nasty long and short term effects. Of course those implants I use on prairie dogs sure stunt and stops growth also. Go figure.
YMMV

Oh almost forgot, went to college with some guys that were crop dusters. Crazy bunch. All they could talk about was how close to the top of a fence they could get or how close they could get the tail under a high line. Reminded me of how you become a bull rider, fill yer mouth with marbles, spit one out each time you get thrown, when you lost yer marbles, you're a bull rider!

Hope no one gets offended, ive done my fair share of "stuff".
Most of the time this time of year it's mainly fungicide application on corn and soybeans. Maybe a little foiliar fertilizer and occassionally some bug killer. Not normally anything too serious.