Critter Gitter, home made game hauler

loaders_loft

In setting up for my recent Wyoming deer and antelope doe slaughter/hunt, I knew a game cart would be handy, but didn't want anything too bulky. After all, I'm not hauling out an elk from the back country, just didn't want all that loose hair everywhere from dragging an antelope.

So, I poked around on craigslist and found a used golf pull cart for $15. Sold! Step one of the critter gitter was complete.

Next, I realized that the supports were too narrow for hauling game, so I used some extra 1" sch40 PVC from the garage to make extensions. I drilled & pop-riveted the 12" extensions onto each support, which was pretty easy.

Here's how it looks with the extensions.
2010-10-03_11-12-29_240.jpg

I couldn't resist so I did a little camo job to cover up the white PVC.
2010-10-10_13-30-16_156.jpg

In the field, the maiden voyage of the critter gitter was about a 500 yard haul on an antelope doe, prior to field dressing. Once I got going, the wheels kept rolling off the rims. Apparently they are not attached very well. So, a dozen zip ties fixed the problem before its next use. I zipped the wheels to the rims in 3 places on each tire and it worked great.
2010-10-12_13-50-40_126.jpg

The next haul was a mule deer doe, which was substantially larger than the previous antelope, so we decided to field dress it before hauling out. This worked out perfect, and the larger animal actually fit better onto the supports of the cart. Very cool.
2010-10-12_13-55-47_313.jpg

hopefully this video will be viewable, you can really see how easily it rolls along.

All in all it was a great hunt, with 3 antelope and 4 mule deer does taken.

UTAH RV Rentals came through again with the trailer, a 19Ft Jayco featherlight & generator.

Wind River Meat Processing was awesome, turning around our meat into vacuum sealed steaks & burger within a few days.

Your creation is simple and get's the job done. Most store bought carts are too big. I'm planning a Wyoming Antelope Hunt for 2011, and was considering applying for deer doe tags. Your cart is definitely is helpful.
What unit did you hunt.
Is access reasonable?

Thanks,
GONZ
SEMPER FIDELIS

Thanks, it worked out pretty good. We hunted antelope on public land near farson, 91 I think. We hunted deer near thermopolis, unit 37. There is plenty of public land and tons of game. Not sure about the bucks in 37

Good information. I'm going to apply for 21 and 63 for antelope 2011.
I finished deer hunting X9A in the High Sierras near June Lake, Ca. Shot a forky the last day of the season at 600yds. Now I've been cleaning my gear and doing an inventory on what needs to be replaced for next year. A new tent is priority #1. I'm going to weld up a prototype cart as well. When it's completed I'll post a photo.

GONZO
SEMPER FIDELIS

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.