Creating loads

bern0134

I've just started reloading and so I know the safest way to get load data is follow reloading manuals (Which I do of course). But for some of you seasoned reloaders, how do you decide which combination of powder and bullet type to use that is not in a manual.

1) Quickload (I do not have it)
2) Experiance
3) Other individuals
4) Have more loading manuals
5) Contact MFG of bullet (Berger is real good)
6) Contact MFG of powder (Most is online)
7) Educated Guess.

The heavier the bullet the less powder you use (Usually).
In most cases you wont get in trouble for loading too light of a charge

What are you trying to load?

One other thing...

There is a lot of politics involved with the shooting community. That is why it is important to own most reloading manuals. Some Powder MFG's do not like bullet mfg's and vise versa. Its childish but forces you to buy every manual.

Lyman is always my Go To book.

What are you thinking about loading? And what is the twist of your rifle?

Im sure someone here shoots exactly what you want to shoot.

Quickload (bundled with Quicktarget)
quickload quicktarget software

If you experiment with nonstandard loads there is nothing better. It does an excellent job of predicting the performance of a large selection of powders, cartridges, and bullets. It also predicts the effects of barrel lengths, seating depths, and powder temperatures which no loadbooks I've seen do.

Quickload does not eliminate the need to work up loads using a chronograph and shooting groups to find loads with best accuracy and low velocity SDs, but it certainly makes finding powder and bullet combinations which are likely to give good performance quicker and easier. Updates with new powders and bullet are available every couple of years with inexpensive updates for existing users. Bullet information is from manufacturers. Powder parameters are primarily from military lab tests. (German)

It runs on XP through Windows 7.

I rate it the "best buy" of all the handloading tools and accessories I use.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.