cratering?

Jinx-)

Shot few rounds using CCI 450 primers in light 29.5 gr Varget load in my 6BR, any thought why they look like this?

craterc.jpg

how tight is your firing pin to the pin hole?
were there any signs of exceeding pressure?
had the same problem till i put an oversized holland firing pin and spring in my 300 rum.

Firing pin, bingo!!! It's like half size of the ejector when engaged.... Wonder why it didn't puncture holes in them... Thanks!

Just looking at the width of the craters, I think you need to have the bolt face bushed.

Well, from the width of the craters, you could have a hard strike, and perhaps some adjustment would help. You need a good smith to measure the FP intrusion and adjust if needed. But, I also recommend having him install a bushing in the bolt face that will allow the FP to glide thru without abraiding on any side.

This morning I adjusted firing pin, its Savage after all anyone can be a smith :D and drove to the rifle range, that was big mistake it was 105 F in the shade, for this place 90 used to happen once or twice in the summer, I have coal stove to keep place warm, but never had a need for AC, but everything changing now... I think because of the temperature outside my loads ran hotter then usual, but here is what primers look like after I adjusted that firing pin, the Norma brass loaded with 29.5 gr Varget and 105 gr A-Max then Lapua brass from 30 gr Varget and 105 A-Max

Looking at the primers they did change from previous what I had...

Do you still think bushing will do me any good?

crater1.jpg

by the way I switched to CCI BR-4 primers

Thanx :D

You still have very mild cratering, but in the absence of any other pressure signs, I would leave it there. Thumbs up on the BR4's. I use them in everything except my 6BR's. Those only get magnum primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts