Cratering Primers

boonermike

I just bought a Model70 Win 270 (150 gr Accubond LR) and I'm seeing cratering in my primers with 85% max load (RL 26) no other signs of high pressure. Anyone else having this problem?

I believe sometimes that cratered primers may be due to other factors besides a hot load . My 204 ruger craters every primer slightly. Factory loads handload below book start it don't matter . Shoot I even went as far as a case 3/4 full of trail boss and still got it to crater .
Now what causes this I'm not certain . I'm sure others here can give more insight . This would have been a good question for JE Custom. Rip my friend

My first inclination would be to blame a oversized firing pin hole which allows primer to flow back into it. Quick way to verify would be fire some factory ammo and see what they look like.
If it does turn out to be oversized you could have it sleeved. Greg Tannell has done one for me and does excellent work.

Ah! I took a look at the bolt face and it looks like the firing pin hole is chamfered slightly. Problem solved! Big thanks to all!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.