Coyotes ate my Doe in 2 Hours!

jasonprox700

This morning I no more than got into my stand and I heard something coming through the woods. I hurried up and pulled my bow up and got ready. A nice doe came through and I ranged her at 41 yards. As soon as she hit the clearing, I shot. She ran across the marsh and then I lost her. I sat back down and figured I would just sit since it was early and a buck might come on through after her.

About 10 minutes later, I heard a lot of rustling around where she entered the woods. I didn't think anything of it because I figured it was just a buck or something. Anyway, I got down around 9'ish to go look for her. I found my bloody arrow and I walked directly to where I had last seen her.

She made it about 200 yards before piling up. Problem was, the rustling I heard was coyotes (or wolves) finding her first! The ground was pretty solid and somewhat frozen around her, so there really weren't any tracks, so I'm guessing coyotes. Below is what was left of her. You can see my entrance hole. Quite a waste of a deer! Now I know another spot to call coyotes after deer season.

1112010851.jpg

1112010852.jpg

downsized_1112010852a.jpg

Wow man thats nuts. I though we had it bad here in western NY. Here your in trouble if you have to wait over night. But 2 hours man thats bad. I shot a doe last week and when I was standing in the feild waiting to get picked up a dog started howeling 100 yards from me.

Re: Coyotes

Last year while hunting in Alberta I shot 3 coyotes with my bow. The wolf, coyote, cougar, and bear (both black and grizzly) are growing. The deer, elk and moose populations are shrinking. The deer and elk are nervous every time they stick their head out. This year I had Coyotes follow me to my deer stand almost every morning. Yes, it does make the hair on your neck stand up.
Nat Lambeth

I'm a believer! I had a buddy of mine come hunt in our place in south Texas. I warned him about leaving his deer too long. We saw the same thing with the doe he got with his bow, but the yotes did it within an hour of the kill. Needless to say, I know its not the best bow hunting practice, but on our lease I go retrieve my kill after 20 minutes, any longer is a risk.

I have actually had that happen several times. My brother shot a fawn with his bow once and we waited until dark to look for it. Two and a half hours after he shot it the only thing left was a front shoulder, head, neck and the bones.

Yes, I see these hunting shows (don't watch much anymore) where they shoot a Deer & decde to go after it the next morning. You won't do that here in AR, even if it is cold enough, which is rare also.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.