Late season doe

sambo3006

I had been playing musical treestands trying to get a shot at a deer in the late bow season. I had moved my treestand about 100 yds during the middle of the day on Jan 6, and as I sat in my stand at about 4PM, I watched a doe walk right past where my stand had been a few hours previous. To add insult to injury, about an hour later at sunset I watched a flock of at least 20 turkeys walk right past the same spot. Needless to say, I was frustrated. Every time I move my stand or sit in a different stand, the deer come past the other spot. About 10 minutes later, I heard the crunching of leaves. A nice doe and three fawns were working towards me. The only way they could have come from without me spotting them before was right past the old stand site. They were close enough that I identified two of the fawns as button bucks. At 15 yds I had my opportunity to draw and as soon as the doe cleared the fawns I shot her behind the shoulder. It was a clean pass through and the exit can be seen in the picture. The entrance was pretty high due to the steep angle. She only ran about 75 yds before piling up. Certainly a nice way to end the season. She was my third bow kill deer of the season.
Doe01-06-2008.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.