Coyote Stealth

ADMIN

Administrator
You are at your stand. The coyote is coming. You're ready, and the wind is in your face, well concealed. 700 yards, 600 yards, but then all you see is a tail going the other way. Unfortunately, this has happened to me more than just a few times.

Stealth is very important in getting to the stand. Whether you walk, crawl, or get dropped off, your attack needs to be planned.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Coyote Stealth, By Ted J. Haynes. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The times I have used a mountain bike or gone in horseback to deer hunt...I have seen more coyotes and hogs. You really hit the nail on the head. If you wait 20:-30: things come back to normal or reestablish what they were doing BUT there is also an element of you just quieting yourself down. Your great article makes me want to wait before starting my calling when I am at some of my choice spots. As a duckhunting guide I always had us cover our hands , faces and shiny gun barrels and I put motion into the decoy spread to divert attention...I just watched some Outdoor Channel TV coyote calling and nobody was wearing a facemask...guess those guys need their facetime on the boob tube. Thanks again for your analytical , unique topic.

Good article! I was reminded of the need to teach those principles a couple of weeks ago when I took a friend hunting. The first thing many do when exiting the vehicle is to slam the door. Sometimes even setting a good example isn't enough. People naturally underestimate the coyote's senses. Great topic!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts